6th Round Pick - Alex Murphy - C - Calvert Hall HS, MD

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Alex Murphy, the Calvert Hall catcher, tells me tonight that he has already agreed to terms with the Orioles tho not officially signed yet.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 8, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is from a good friend of mine, who is a coach at another MIAA school:

"Best catcher I have ever seen in high school, maybe the best player overall. Great defense and we got him out 2 times in two years. Even raked in California this year. Full ride to Wake after his soph year and 4 year starter at CH. Can't speak highly enough about him."

This is from a good friend of mine, who is a coach at another MIAA school:

"Best catcher I have ever seen in high school, maybe the best player overall. Great defense and we got him out 2 times in two years. Even raked in California this year. Full ride to Wake after his soph year and 4 year starter at CH. Can't speak highly enough about him."

I played against him in 2012, my senior year of high school. Couldn't be happier for him. Can't wait to track his progress in the minors.

He passed his physical and is heading to Sarasota next week.

Orioles sixth-round pick Alex Murphy, a catcher from Calvert Hall, passed his physical Tuesday and is scheduled to leave for Sarasota, Fla., on Monday after contract terms are hammered out and approved.

Murphy, speaking by phone from a suite at Camden Yards as the Orioles took on the Los Angeles Angels, said he couldn’t disclose the details of the contract. The slot bonus money for the 189th pick is $218,500.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-calvert-hall-catcher-alex-murphy-passes-physical-with-orioles-will-head-to-sarasota-20130611,0,7187871.story?track=rss

I wonder if the reason he can't disclose the money is that the O's don't want this getting out to the other draftees so they can sign some overslot guys.

I wonder if the reason he can't disclose the money is that the O's don't want this getting out to the other draftees so they can sign some overslot guys.

You got it. The Orioles have to be creative here so details will probably come out slowly. That's fine. Too many people focus on bonuses anyways.

He probably can't discuss it since it sounds like, though they have agree to terms, the contract won't be approved by MLB until Monday. I'm sure the players and team have some sort of binding NDA that no one can discuss until the contract is finalized and approved.

It is also where my wife grew up,

I remember some friends and I in high school in the late 60s/early 70s taking our cars up to 75-80 raceway in Monrovia a few times. Never won. Mostly just messed up our engines. LOL.

Archived