Team era when Wieters is not behind the plate is under 3.00

joedogg9999

Ok, based on...?

I find statements like these about as interesting as watching women's tennis. Not a good game caller? What's this based on? Another one of my favorites is, "He takes a bad route to flyballs." Really? Cause you can see the flyball on TV and track it better from your couch than the outfielder can.

They have the 2nd worst ERA in the AL. If the Astros didn't switch leagues they would be in last place. If he called better games they wouldn't be 2nd in ERA and they wouldn't have given up a walk off HR to Ibanez at NY in the ALDS last year either.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Wieters is as bad as some of our brighter lights seem to think . why are they trotting them out there every day? Either they disagree that he's bad, or they are really stupid. IMO they aren't stupid. It's not like Wieters contract compels them to play him. He could be traded fairly easily, because there are plenty of teams as dumb as the O's who would love to have him.

They have the 2nd worst ERA in the AL. If the Astros didn't switch leagues they would be in last place. If he called better games they wouldn't be 2nd in ERA and they wouldn't have given up a walk off HR to Ibanez at NY in the ALDS last year either.

Wow. Just wow. I mean I don't even know where to start with this. This is just so totally wrong on so many deep and disturbing levels.

Holy God.

What color is the sky in your world son?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

If Wieters is as bad as some of our brighter lights seem to think . why are they trotting them out there every day? Either they disagree that he's bad, or they are really stupid. IMO they aren't stupid. It's not like Wieters contract compels them to play him. He could be traded fairly easily, because there are plenty of teams as dumb as the O's who would love to have him.

They trot him out everyday because they don't have anyone better to play the position. Same reason they trot Flaherty at 2B everyday and Garcia every 5th day. Just because they play everyday doesn't mean they are good.

Better "game calling" doesn't make Jake Arrieta get his head together and become a major league pitcher. It doesn't help Freddy Garcia find the fountain of youth and pitch like he did when he was younger so that every other start isn't a disaster. It doesn't make Kevin Gausman more ready for the big leagues, or Jair Jurrjens find his old form, or Jason Hammel whatever he had last year. Game calling solves none of those things. The problem is injuries, lack of talent, and ineffectiveness. Game calling doesn't equate to an entire staff being that far at the bottom of staff ERA. It simply doesn't, and if you really believe that this is all on Matt Wieters, then I'm sorry, you are delusional.

Better "game calling" doesn't make Jake Arrieta get his head together and become a major league pitcher. It doesn't help Freddy Garcia find the fountain of youth and pitch like he did when he was younger so that every other start isn't a disaster. It doesn't make Kevin Gausman more ready for the big leagues, or Jair Jurrjens find his old form, or Jason Hammel whatever he had last year. Game calling solves none of those things. The problem is injuries, lack of talent, and ineffectiveness. Game calling doesn't equate to an entire staff being that far at the bottom of staff ERA. It simply doesn't, and if you really believe that this is all on Matt Wieters, then I'm sorry, you are delusional.

I guess it's just a coincidence that Gausman's one good start was against the best offense in the league pitching to Chris Snyder while his other 3 bad starts were throwing to Wieters.

I guess it's just a coincidence that Gausman's one good start was against the best offense in the league pitching to Chris Snyder while his other 3 bad starts were throwing to Wieters.

Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that the Tigers had never seen Gausman before. No, it could only be because Wieters wasn't behind the plate. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that the Tigers had never seen Gausman before. No, it could only be because Wieters wasn't behind the plate. :rolleyes:

I forgot that the Nationals, Blue Jays, and Rays have all seen him plenty of times.

Oh my God. Seriously.

You really genuinely believe this don't you? This reminds me of old fan arguments when he would try to tell us Luis Hernandez was the future SS of the Orioles and better than Tejada.

I mean it is the same damn argument.

Its just as ridiculous now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I meant the part about it ending the thread.

Ehh, we'd probably need about 50 more of these threads to balance out the over the top pro-Wieters rhetoric about his "great game calling, leadership, and pitcher handling prowess" I've heard over the years.

Yeah...it pretty much is.

You could also say that he must like the mound at Camden Yards since his only good start came at home. Both would be based on an extremely small sample. The more likely explanation is that he's a very young pitcher with great stuff...so inconsistency is expected.

Ehh, we'd probably need about 50 more of these threads to balance out the over the top pro-Wieters rhetoric about his "great game calling, leadership, and pitcher handling prowess" I've heard over the years.

Partly true--I'm on your side of the debate, mostly, I was arguing last May/June that people were going overboard anointing Wieters the best catcher in the ML, and arguing when he started slumping that he was probably more regressing back to his career OPS levels than just having a slump in his breakout season--but some of the stuff I've read in this thread is wack-o (not from you, mind). I don't think that serves so much to balance things out as it does make everyone a little more wack-o.

Archived