Team era when Wieters is not behind the plate is under 3.00

joedogg9999

Partly true--I'm on your side of the debate, mostly, I was arguing last May/June that people were going overboard anointing Wieters the best catcher in the ML, and arguing when he started slumping that he was probably more regressing back to his career OPS levels than just having a slump in his breakout season--but some of the stuff I've read in this thread is wack-o (not from you, mind). I don't think that serves so much to balance things out as it does make everyone a little more wack-o.

Yeah, agreed. Some stuff is clearly over the top. I think all we need is for Frobby to come into this thread and repeat that Wieters is basically Russell Martin (I'd argue a healthy Martin is better) and we'd be done here.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When hes catching? Over 5.00

Pitchers have to execute the pitches, yes, but clearly wieters is not helping anyone. Bad pitch calling, bad pitch setting up, and absolutely no framing to get his guys more strikes.

Its no coincidence Gausman was far and away better against a far better lineup when snyder was catching.

I dont expect any serious responses to this considering matt wieters is jesus on cleets around here but hes hurting this team more than hes helping. Between his bad game in the pitching game and his miserable bat we would be better off trading him for a ToR. He still has that value around the league but that wont last much longer.

Agenda much? :ohlord:

I won't even put you on ignore because I like laughing at your posts.

When hes catching? Between his bad game in the pitching game and his miserable bat we would be better off trading him for a ToR. He still has that value around the league but that wont last much longer.

I love how on one hand he says how bad he is but we can trade him for a TOR starter. I guess everyone in baseball is foolish except joedogg. Hopefully we sign Wieters to a long term contract and sure up the catcher position for the next 6-7 years. He may not be Johnny Bench offensively but he is pretty good. If he signs an extension he will go down as the best catcher in Oriole history.

When hes catching? Over 5.00

Pitchers have to execute the pitches, yes, but clearly wieters is not helping anyone. Bad pitch calling, bad pitch setting up, and absolutely no framing to get his guys more strikes.

Its no coincidence Gausman was far and away better against a far better lineup when snyder was catching.

I dont expect any serious responses to this considering matt wieters is jesus on cleets around here but hes hurting this team more than hes helping. Between his bad game in the pitching game and his miserable bat we would be better off trading him for a ToR. He still has that value around the league but that wont last much longer.

So what you are saying is he is awful and is hurting our team. So we should trade him because everyone else thinks he is great (only they haven't fooled you!) for a TOR starter even though he is awful.

Yeah okay. You understand how trades work right? You also understand how completely mental you are in what you are saying?

I love how on one hand he says how bad he is but we can trade him for a TOR starter. I guess everyone in baseball is foolish except joedogg. Hopefully we sign Wieters to a long term contract and sure up the catcher position for the next 6-7 years. He may not be Johnny Bench offensively but he is pretty good. If he signs an extension he will go down as the best catcher in Oriole history.

Newsflash he already kinda IS the best catcher the Orioles have ever had. His career OPS right now is the highest among catchers who have played at more than three seasons here, as best I can figure. Gotta go back to Gus Triandos before you get one over .700.

Not to mention the defense, and the SLG numbers.

The problem is he is not "switch-hitting jesus" that was way too much hype for him. While he IS one of the top five catchers in the MLB. He will be an on-off all-star but likely never the perennial MVP candidate we all hoped he would be.

And that is OKAY. This is what happens, we should be thankful to have him as part of the contending core of this team.

Newsflash he already kinda IS the best catcher the Orioles have ever had. His career OPS right now is the highest among catchers who have played at more than three seasons here, as best I can figure. Gotta go back to Gus Triandos before you get one over .700.

Not to mention the defense, and the SLG numbers.

The problem is he is not "switch-hitting jesus" that was way too much hype for him. While he IS one of the top five catchers in the MLB. He will be an on-off all-star but likely never the perennial MVP candidate we all hoped he would be.

And that is OKAY. This is what happens, we should be thankful to have him as part of the contending core of this team.

100% agree.

Archived