Nick Markakis Is Close to Torii Hunter For 3rd OF All-Star Starter

Brooks The Great

Actually the only year where I felt he deserved to be in the ASG was in 2010 when the Orioles were horrible and Ty Wigginton was selected. In Nick's best years, he tended to be stronger in the second half. But anyway, as a corner outfielder who doesn't hit for much power, I'd argue the only years where he finished the season as a no-doubt All Star were 2007 and 2008. Since then he's basically been a slightly above average outfielder, not an All-Star. And that's what he is this year, too.

Well, shouldn't you get credit for the second half of the previous season or is it just a first half honor? Markakis trails Torii Hunter and I'd say you can make a decent case for him at least having as good a season or better than Hunter to this point.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. But there's been a couple years where he's deserved it, but because of lack of support, didnt get the nod. It's only fair to even things out for the guy :)

He's hitting .300, again. He deserves it.

I voted 40 more times tonight.

Honestly, Markakis doesn't deserve it if you only look at stats. He's 26th in the AL in WAR for OF (he's actually tied with Dickerson in WAR), 16th in OPS and 7th in average. But who cares? The All-Star game never has really been about who the best players are as much as who the fans want to see the most, and we want to see Markakis.

Hell yeah! Stuff the boxes for Nick. I don't even care about who "deserves" to be in the game. That's garbage. It's a popularity contest and a test to see which fans rig the vote better.

Not always. Look at Davis and Hardy leading in their positions. I would say thats justified. Also Cabrera with his amazing season is well ahead of Manny at 3B. Cano again having a great year is leading 2B. Mauer at catcher, but im not sure how many games he's caught this year.

Archived