Trade Jim Johnson to the Tigers

webbrick2010

Porcello and Rondon would help us stay in the playoff race, more than JJ would.

NEXT year, or the year after that. NOT this year. Get an established starter, who has had more success and can help now. Giving up an established closer while in a playoff race should warrant a proven starter in return. Not someone who isn't any better than Gonzales or Tillman- not that they are bad by any means, but we should get back better if trading JJ.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An objective person would say that a sweep by the SUX, considering the pitching match ups, is more likely than one for the O's. To ignore this is to take a swig of something.

Actually I think the pitching matchups are pretty good. Tonight we get there worst starter against Gausman so you could hope for a slugfest win.

Then Dempster (not very good) agains Tillman O's should be in this game

Then Lackey vs Garcia, advantage Red Sox but the O's should score some against Lackey

Then Lester who has struggled recently against MGon who is pitching his best ball of the year.

I think the O's can/should split, which is the minimum they need considering they are missing Bucholtz.

An objective person would say that a sweep by the SUX, considering the pitching match ups, is more likely than one for the O's. To ignore this is to take a swig of something.

An objective person would say that the most likely outcome between any two reasonably competitive teams is a split.

If you had a .600 team playing a .400 team there's only a 22% chance of a sweep. If you use the two teams' current winning percentages as a proxy for their talents, the Sox have a 9% chance at a sweep, and the O's a 4%.

An objective person would say that the most likely outcome between any two reasonably competitive teams is a split.

If you had a .600 team playing a .400 team there's only a 22% chance of a sweep. If you use the two teams' current winning percentages as a proxy for their talents, the Sox have a 9% chance at a sweep, and the O's a 4%.

poster.gif

The objective person would say that a sweep by either team is unlikely.

NEXT year, or the year after that. NOT this year. Get an established starter, who has had more success and can help now. Giving up an established closer while in a playoff race should warrant a proven starter in return. Not someone who isn't any better than Gonzales or Tillman- not that they are bad by any means, but we should get back better if trading JJ.
Oh sure, I would much rather trade Tillman+ for Lee and cash, but nobody else likes that idea. Porcello woudl help us now, and so would Rondon. I am very comfortable with O'Day and/or Hunter closing.

Oh sure, I would much rather trade Tillman+ for Lee and cash, but nobody else likes that idea. Porcello woudl help us now, and so would Rondon. I am very comfortable with O'Day and/or Hunter closing.

I have seen you say this a couple times. Why do you believe it to be true?

The objective person would say that a sweep by either team is unlikely.
Maybe, but the objective person would say that 3 of 4 for BOS is more likely than 3 of 4 for the O's. Probable out come is the O's avoiding a sweep. Look at a the pitching matchups. I think a sweep of the SUX would require flying pigs.

In general that's true over a large sample size but what you always seem to ignore is that a 4 G series doesn't work according to the numbers. It's about who's playing well at that time and the pitching matchup's, which involved more than their numbers as well. Who has a sore arm or a bad back? Who is slumping, etc. Right now the Red Sox are in better shape than we are. Our pen is stretched and we are sending out two SP who are not likely to go 5+ IP. Sure anything can happen. A sapit would be a godsend IMO.

I have seen you say this a couple times. Why do you believe it to be true?
Because DET has been toying with the idea of him closing. I think Rondon would be better than Strop, and that would be a help. I am thinking O'Day and Hunter would close and I doubt we would skip a beat with them.

Because DET has been toying with the idea of him closing. I think Rondon would be better than Strop, and that would be a help. I am thinking O'Day and Hunter would close and I doubt we would skip a beat with them.

Have you seen Rondon or read up on him?

From what i have read (and the little bit I have seen) Rondon is a one pitch thrower right now. He does possess 100+ heat but his slider and change are not viable pitches. Now maybe he has made progress on them since he was demoted. I would think that if he had legitimate game changing stuff then they would have brought him back up by now.

Archived