Trade Jim Johnson to the Tigers

webbrick2010

Valvere had another blown save yesterday.

The O's starting pitching won't keep them in contention this year.

The O's aren't going to pay JJ 8+ million to be their closer next year.

What do the Tigers have at 2B or Starting Pitcher in their system??

I'm thinking of a 4-1 type trade with one ML ready player coming back to the O's.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe no one wants to discuss how we use JJ to impove the team instead of either over paying for a closer or losing him to free agency.

How about Jim Johnson to the Tigers for Jose Alvarez, James McCann, and Danry Vasquez ???

I know people like to say the closer position is overrated, but frankly we have very little chance of winning anything this year if JJ is not on this team or is not effective. You could replace him with someone internally, but then you're just creating another hole in the bullpen which is already struggling to maintain its effectiveness.

On top of that, I just don't think you'd get that much for him, though certainly a team like the Tigers with an owner who is desperate to win may be willing to give more.

Bottom line, I just think he's worth more to us than whatever we'd be able to get back.

Valvere had another blown save yesterday.

The O's starting pitching won't keep them in contention this year.

The O's aren't going to pay JJ 8+ million to be their closer next year.

What do the Tigers have at 2B or Starting Pitcher in their system??

I'm thinking of a 4-1 type trade with one ML ready player coming back to the O's.

So we are going to trade JJ for a starter which will solidify our starting rotation a bit while leaving the Orioles without one of the best 2-3 relief pitchers that we have? I disagree with the point that the Orioles will not pay JJ $8M next year, but if we fall out of contention than dealing JJ makes a little more sense as I am not a huge fan of giving closers big deals.

The Tigers have the 27th ranked farm system in baseball according to Baseball America, and amongst their top 10 the best ranked pitcher was ranked #3 and projects to be a closer with average K/BB numbers (why trade for Johnson when they could just call this guy up?), and their #4 hasn't pitched above rookie ball. The best case are their #8 prospect Casey Crosby and #10 prospect Adam Wilk, but Crosby has a history of arm issues and has problems throwing strikes (sound familiar?), Wilk could compare to Tommy Millone but that doesn't mean he will, and if I'm trading Johnson I want better than that.

Bottom Line: The Tigers have nothing that we need or that is immediately ready to help at the big league level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614327.html

Yes, my assumption is that the O's will fall out of contention... I don' know how anyone watching this pitchins staff could think otherwise.

and I can't see a team with a 100 million dollar payroll spending 8 million on a close who has lets face had some issues this year.

I mean we got Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis for Koji

If we could pull off something like that for JJ sholdn't we be trying to???

The Tigers have the 27th ranked farm system in baseball according to Baseball America, and amongst their top 10 the best ranked pitcher was ranked #3 and projects to be a closer with average K/BB numbers (why trade for Johnson when they could just call this guy up?), and their #4 hasn't pitched above rookie ball. The best case are their #8 prospect Casey Crosby and #10 prospect Adam Wilk, but Crosby has a history of arm issues and has problems throwing strikes (sound familiar?), Wilk could compare to Tommy Millone but that doesn't mean he will, and if I'm trading Johnson I want better than that.

Bottom Line: The Tigers have nothing that we need or that is immediately ready to help at the big league level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614327.html

I suggeste Jose Alvarez who appears to ML ready right now

If anything we should be trading FOR bullpen help not trading away guys. I still want to win this year.

The premise of my post is that we cannot win this year. I know that it is not yet the consensus. I was hoping to start a discussion of what we could get for JJ IF we fail to compete this year.

Should know more by the trading deadline... so this is a little premature.

Yes, my assumption is that the O's will fall out of contention... I don' know how anyone watching this pitchins staff could think otherwise.

and I can't see a team with a 100 million dollar payroll spending 8 million on a close who has lets face had some issues this year.

If we crater and are ten or fifteen games out by the trade deadline I could see us trading JJ. However I really dont think we are going to go that bad. But stranger things have happened.

I suggeste Jose Alvarez who appears to ML ready right now

Which again defeats the whole purpose of the Tigers acquiring Johnson when they could just plug him in if they felt so inclined. It wouldn't make sense for the Tigers. They're going to win the Central, the Indians will fade and the Tigers rotation is too good, there's no reason for them to trade what little they have in the farm for a closer.

Which only looks like a great deal now because of how Davis has played dating back to last August and because Hunter looks better out of the pen. Wasn't looking so great after it was first made, or even when it was made for that matter.

Archived