Trade Jim Johnson to the Tigers

webbrick2010

I think we trade Hammel befor we trade JJ.

The biggest weakness of this team is starting pitching.

How would trading Hammel improve the starting pitching. You have to hope/pray he gets better and even if he doesn't he is still one of the O's top five.

I agee they will look to deal him in the off season

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest weakness of this team is starting pitching.

How would trading Hammel improve the starting pitching. You have to hope/pray he gets better and even if he doesn't he is still one of the O's top five.

I agee they will look to deal him in the off season

I think he is a non-tender candidate atm. I don't see why other teams would be willing to trade assets to pay his arbitration bloated salary if he doesn't improve.

If the O's want to contend this year or next, we have to keep JJ and hope that he is able to command his two-seamer.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is a team that is ready to win right now and should be looking to add pieces, not rebuild. I know that may be a hard concept to grasp for people who lived through 14 straight losing seasons.

I think we trade Hammel befor we trade JJ.

Hammel might be better off somewhere else. His biggest problem seems to me to be that he can't keep his pitches down. He'd likely be much more effective playing on a team that has a spacious OF, imo.

Valvere had another blown save yesterday.

The O's starting pitching won't keep them in contention this year.

The O's aren't going to pay JJ 8+ million to be their closer next year.

What do the Tigers have at 2B or Starting Pitcher in their system??

I'm thinking of a 4-1 type trade with one ML ready player coming back to the O's.

If there's any way to ensure the Orioles are not going to win this year it would be to trade away a currently good member of the bullpen.

I can almost guarantee that Johnson isn't going anywhere until the O's are out of playoff contention. And I'd be somewhat surprised if that happened by the trading deadline. There's good chance that won't happen at all, or until very late in the year.

You don't trade JJ unless someone is willing to really overpay. If they want to offer Porcello or Castellanos (or more, obviously), go for it. Outside of that, no thanks.

The O's have the option of moving Gausman to the pen as well. I know the bullpen is in flux right now, but you cannot convince me that we don't have enough good arms to still have a solid pen even w/o JJ. Still, he's very valuable to us and that must be considered if we're ever approached by another org.

THIS is the package I was about to post and say that I think the team should be willing to trade Johnson for...Porcello AND Castellanos...I wouldn't do it for one or the other.

If the O's want to contend this year or next, we have to keep JJ and hope that he is able to command his two-seamer.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is a team that is ready to win right now and should be looking to add pieces, not rebuild. I know that may be a hard concept to grasp for people who lived through 14 straight losing seasons.

Right. I would be stunned if this management team pulled the trigger on a rebuild-type move when they're essentially tied for the last playoff spot. I'd be stunned if any management team of any MLB org did that.

I get that, but I have also noticed that our pitching staff in last in the majors. To add pieces the O's will have to give up pieces. If not JJ than prospects.

Who are we going to give up that will get us quality starting pitching?? Bundy??, Schoop??, Matusz??,

I'd love to see the O's get Cliff Lee and just take on salary, but Angelos probably won't do that.

So bottom line, I'm not sure we are truly a contender with this starting rotation.

Can't imagine trading JJ unless the Tigers put together a ridiculous package. I don't think they have the goods to be honest.

JJ is a great teammate by all accounts, a team leader, and a face of the franchise. I'm not sure we don't bring him back next year at 8M to be honest.

If there's any way to ensure the Orioles are not going to win this year it would be to trade away a currently good member of the bullpen.

I can almost guarantee that Johnson isn't going anywhere until the O's are out of playoff contention. And I'd be somewhat surprised if that happened by the trading deadline. There's good chance that won't happen at all, or until very late in the year.

After this BOS series we very well could be 7.5 games out. Maybe that would change people's thinking a bit. Trading JJ is not such a bad idea IMO. I would be comfortable with O'Day or Hunter or some combination, closing. JJ's contract will be a lot next season, and unless they convert him to SP I think they will look to trade him. At the deadline if we are out of It, or over the winter. DET is not going deep into the playoffs without a closer. I'd offer JJ for Porcello and Rondon. See how desperate they are.

Can't imagine trading JJ unless the Tigers put together a ridiculous package. I don't think they have the goods to be honest.

JJ is a great teammate by all accounts, a team leader, and a face of the franchise. I'm not sure we don't bring him back next year at 8M to be honest.

They said all these things about Brian Roberts and signing him was a huge mistake

Signing JJ to an extension at more than 10 million a year will be a mistake IMHO.

Archived