Chris Tillman - O's Ace

wildcard

But is Tillman the best pitcher on the team? Truth is, I'm not sure he is. He's been very good, and for whatever reason, he has gotten the run support. I still might put him third among our top three, though they're all pretty close IMO.

Wow what a great problem to have. To me Chen and Tilly continue to evolve and improve and either one of them can be dominant on any given night. Dominant in the sense that they can get it done with very little run support...last night one run would have been enough for Tillman. I think Gonzo is closer to being the finished product - always competitive, usually keeping you in the game late, but requiring a few runs to seal the deal.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But is Tillman the best pitcher on the team? Truth is, I'm not sure he is. He's been very good, and for whatever reason, he has gotten the run support. I still might put him third among our top three, though they're all pretty close IMO.

He is in that he gets stronger as the games goes on. Unlike some of the others. And that gives the offense a chance to do it's bashing.

And his stuff is the best as well.

Tillman's durability puts him ahead of Chen and Gonzo so far this year.

His pitch count and depth in the game has been superior in his last few starts. He had a slow start to the season and would often exit after 5 or 6 IP.

At this point in the season I think he is able to go just as deep as Chen and Gonzo. Earlier on in the season I think he was our #3 starter, but right now we've got 3 guys who would be in the #1 or #2 slot on almost any team, even a WS-bound team.

He is in that he gets stronger as the games goes on. Unlike some of the others. And that gives the offense a chance to do it's bashing.

And his stuff is the best as well.

Tillman can throw more pitches than Chen or Gonzalez. But he also uses a lot more pitches to get to the 6th/7th inning.

Tillman: 6.03 IP/start, 104.9 pitches/start, 17.4 pitches/inning. Has thrown 7+ innings 6 times in 21 starts.

Chen: 6.18 IP/start, 94.2 pitches/start, 15.2 pitches/inning*. Has thrown 7+ innings 3 times in 11 starts.

Gonzalez: 6.24 IP/start, 97.6 pitches/start, 15.6 pitches/inning. Has thrown 7+ innings 3 times in 18 starts.

* Chen had two starts cut short, or his IP/start and pitches/start would be higher. The first was on May 7, when he allowed 2 runs in 6.1 innings on only 78 pitches, but then the game had a long rain delay and Chen did not return. The second was on May 12, when he pitched 5 shutout innings on only 73 pitches, but was pulled when he strained his oblique.

By durability I mean the ability to make your start every turn of the rotation. If a pitcher wants a chance to win 20 he has to be physical able to make his start consistently.

Tillman 21 starts

Gonzo 18

Chen 11

And they have to pitch well when they make the starts which leave Hammel out.

By durability I mean the ability to make your start every turn of the rotation. If a pitcher wants a chance to win 20 he has to be physical able to make his start consistently.

Tillman 21 starts

Gonzo 18

Chen 11

And they have to pitch well when they make the starts which leave Hammel out.

Well, these things vary from year to year. Chen didn't miss a start last year; this year he strained an oblique. Hammel's made every start so far this year; last year, he missed most of the second half. Tillman has yet to pitch a full big league season, so his durability hasn't really been tested completely. That said, he's a big strong kid, and hopefully he will be pretty durable.

Well, these things vary from year to year. Chen didn't miss a start last year; this year he strained an oblique. Hammel's made every start so far this year; last year, he missed most of the second half. Tillman has yet to pitch a full big league season, so his durability hasn't really been tested completely. That said, he's a big strong kid, and hopefully he will be pretty durable.

It seems like he's been pitching for 10 years for the O's. I always forget how young he still is.

He's listed at 6'5" and 210 and as weams like to call him, he's a

"hoss". I think his size and strength lend to him getting more velocity as the game goes along and hopefully he matures not only into his body but can become somebody who continues to progress. I wonder if some may have limited his ceiling. When he is commanding three pitches like he did last night he's unbeatable even for a tough Boston lineup.

His durability will still have some questions until he gets through this season, but I think he has been our most reliable except for a week last year when he had elbow stiffness.

Archived