Chris Tillman - O's Ace

wildcard

It's time to acknowledge what Chris Tillman has done over the last year.

On July 4th 2012, Tillman was recalled to make his first start of 2012. In the last year Chris has gone 16-5 with a 3.26 ERA over 29 starts. He still will probably make 3 more starts before the full year is up.

Gary Thorne pointed out that Tillman has the third most wins in that period in the AL behind Verlander and Scherzer of the Tigers.

Tillman has become the stabilizing force in the O's rotation and I think Ace status is appropriate at this point.

What do you think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tillman and what he has done has been vastly undervalued by most O's fans for some reason. After being hurt in spring training and knocking off the rust he has really been pretty lights out so far this year....

Gonzalez is 13-6 with a 3.43 ERA over 26 starts. Just think, we have those two guys producing in the rotation for around $1M combined.

Gonzo has a 3.52 ERA in that period as a starter. He was a reliever for a while last year. Good stuff.

Tillman and what he has done has been vastly undervalued by most O's fans for some reason.

I think a lot of us are waiting for his luck to run out. Last year he greatly outperformed his peripherals and it's more of the same this year, his advanced metrics are not that flattering, 4.15 SIERA, 4.16 xFIP (very high tERA: 5.69).

And that's coming from as big a Tillman fanboy as there is.

That said, the fact that hitters don't crush his 90 MPH FB even when he's leaving it up in the 1st and 2nd innings--as well as the fact his 91-93 MPH FB seems to get worse swings than you would expect in later innings--suggest that his FB plays a bit faster than it reads on the radar gun, IMO. So it may be that he is one of those guys hitters just don't get good contact of because of the plane/how fast the ball gets on them due to his height--like Jered Weaver--and he can continue to outperform his peripherals (like Weaver himself). But even Weaver has regressed more towards his FIP/xFIP etc. so you would expect Tillman is due for some regression.

In yesterday's start you could certainly notice a good deal of luck (especially in the first couple innings) with balls getting hit at people, deep FBs just staying in the park, etc.

I think a lot of us are waiting for his luck to run out. Last year he greatly outperformed his peripherals and it's more of the same this year, his advanced metrics are not that flattering, 4.15 SIERA, 4.16 xFIP (very high tERA: 5.69).

And that's coming from as big a Tillman fanboy as there is.

That said, the fact that hitters don't crush his 90 MPH FB even when he's leaving it up in the 1st and 2nd innings--as well as the fact his 91-93 MPH FB seems to get worse swings than you would expect in later innings--suggest that his FB plays a bit faster than it reads on the radar gun, IMO. So it may be that he is one of those guys hitters just don't get good contact of because of the plane/how fast the ball gets on them due to his height--like Jered Weaver--and he can continue to outperform his peripherals (like Weaver himself). But even Weaver has regressed more towards his FIP/xFIP etc. so you would expect Tillman is due for some regression.

In yesterday's start you could certainly notice a good deal of luck (especially in the first couple innings) with balls getting hit at people, deep FBs just staying in the park, etc.

Nice information. I will take Jered Weaver like performance from Tillman over the next three or four years and move on to trying to improve another area of the team. Part of the challenge for Tillman as with ALL pitchers is do they continue to adjust as the hitters adjust. Do they add newrinkles, taking a bit off here, adding a bit there, throwing pitches in unexpected counts, etc. It is in the mental understanding of pitching part of the game that I have seen VAST improvement in Chris Tillman over the last year. Similar to Miguel and Chen, who I also think are very, very intelligent, Mike Boddicker, Scott McGregor type pitchers. They are calm on the mound and have a plan with each hitter.

Who gets a higher percentage of the vote his first year Pedro Martinez (219 Wins) or Mike Mussina (270 Wins)?

Martinez of course. I didn't say it was the be all end all stat that the writers focus on but it is a major contributer. Is there a pitcher who has 300 or more wins that is not in the HOF?

Archived