Joey Votto Critical of Davis Saying the HR Record Is 61

SeaBird

Seems Votto thinks Davis has an ulterior motive for claiming that Maris owns the season HR record at 61 in an article by Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports in which Votto said:

"If Chris feels like 61 is the home run record, maybe he?s just selfishly pegging that number as the home run record so if he passes it he can wear a crown or something like that. There would be a lot of money in that."

Even Davis' teammate Adam Jones feels the title is Bonds' regardless of the PED association. Passan said of 15 major leaguers who were asked is the record 61 or 73, only one replied with 61.

So much for what the fans believe is the real record. The guys that play the game say the number is 73 and Bonds holds it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-davis-is-chasing-the-single-season-home-run-record--but-is-it-61-or-73--024447378.html

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems Votto thinks Davis has an ulterior motive for claiming that Maris owns the season HR record at 61 in an article by Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports in which Votto said:

"If Chris feels like 61 is the home run record, maybe he?s just selfishly pegging that number as the home run record so if he passes it he can wear a crown or something like that. There would be a lot of money in that."

Even Davis' teammate Adam Jones feels the title is Bonds' regardless of the PED association. Passan said of 15 major leaguers who were asked is the record 61 or 73, only one replied with 61.

So much for what the fans believe is the real record. The guys that play the game say the number is 73 and Bonds holds it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-davis-is-chasing-the-single-season-home-run-record--but-is-it-61-or-73--024447378.html

That is okay. That is only his opinion.

So there is a lot of money in Davis breaking 61 as long as Davis says he feels that 61 is the real record. I am sure that his opinion on 61 just persuaded Nike to give him a huge endorsement deal. The Orioles are also going to break the bank on extending Davis if he gets to 61 verses 53 or 75. :rolleyes:

A bunch of guys cheated and got caught. The guys that didn't turn them in now have honest numbers mixed up with said cheaters. MLB turned a blind eye to the cheating until reports and coverage made them look bad. Shame on everyone of them for caring more about themselves than the game. I like Davis having an opinion that didn't call out a specific player like Votto seemed to do with his opinion on Davis. To be honest, Votto sounds a little jealous of Davis' first half. Well, maybe that is just my opinion on Votto. :D

I've been saying 61 is the record for years now. Not everyone who has a controversial opinion is selfish and greedy.

I think Votto is a bit jealous of the attention Davis is getting. Regardless, he just made my dislike list.

Joey has had some real hardships to deal with. If he is really clean, I give him a bit of a pass because of his disorders.

I don't blame them. I would be shooting up too if it meant I got a million dollar contract.

Me too, I blame them for lying and I blame MLB for covering it up. The integrity of sports is tied to a relatively even playing field and that is altered when PED's are in play. During the homerun derby I thought I heard that a 1 mph increase is swing speed could propel a ball an extra 6 feet. A few mph increase in swing speed could lead to a ball being a homer or an out. Maris hit 61 in 61 and then nobody touched it for over 40 years and then Sosa, McGuire and Bonds come and start throwing around sick numbers.

If you look at the top homerun hitters of all time:

1. Bonds 762

5. Rodriguez 647

8. Sosa 609

10. McGwire 583

12. Palmeiro 569

14. Ramirez 555

18. Thomas 521

24. Sheffield 509

31. Delgado 473

34. Canseco 462

36. Bagwell 449

40. Giambi 435

There are some questionable names in there surrounding players who are known to be some of the greatest of all time. Baseball needs to either put an asterisk next to individual names, the steroid period itself or let these guys in. By doing nothing there are ignoring a real black eye in MLB history while still punishing the guys who you are trying to keep out of the hall.

Archived