Espn 1000: Roberts talks are off

JimboHendry

Wednesday, MacPhail shakes hands with Hendry on Gallagher-Marshall-Cedeno and takes the deal to Angelos.

Thursday, Angelos informs MacPhail, "Not without Pie." MacPhail passes this demand on to Cubs.

Friday, Cubs stop laughing their asses off long enough to tell MacPhail, "We're outa here."

Saturday morning, Levine hears from Cubs reports the deal is off.

If the deal really doesn't happen, please don't try to tell me that the above sequence is not the most likely explanation.

or.....

Wednesday- Mcphail gets offer from Cubs and they say this is the best they can offer. Mcphail takes deal to Angelos.

Thursday- Angelos asks Mcphail if he thinks this is really the best we can get from them or are there any other offers out there. Mcphail says to Angelos that we are talking with Cleveland as well and they are coming up with a very nice package as well. Angelos and Mcphail figure they have bargaining power now and decide to pit the Cubs and Indians against one another.

Friday- Mcphail calls the Cubs to inform them that other teams are in the race and in order to seal the deal Pie will need to be included. Cubs think they are bluffing and say no.

Saturday- Cubs release press statement to put pressure on O's and take away some of their bargaining power with the Indians.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angelos didn't nix the deal. You guys really need to get that out of your head.

It was just disinformation going around..Nothing more than that.

Poeple just aren't going to believe you without a source. I personally don't believe PA was involved, but that is just based on my opinion of AM and his unwillingness to be undermined by PA.

Poeple just aren't going to believe you without a source. I personally don't believe PA was involved, but that is just based on my opinion of AM and his unwillingness to be undermined by PA.

Exactly. MacPhail is not some ex-Oriole whose place is only with this organization. If he wanted, he could leave the O's and have a job waiting for him with MLB or any number of other teams out there. He very well may be the next commissioner. He's not going to be taking crap from PA and PA knows this.

All the conspiracy theories can stop. Deals die.

ESPN 1000 had Bruce Levine on, and said taht the trade talks with Baltimore are OFF

He said the Cubs are looking to acquire Marlon Byrd from the Rangers to platoon with Pie in CF.

He also said the Cubs are really trying to sign Jon Leiber.

As a Cubs fan, I must say I'm very disappointed in the turn of events with the Orioles. We went from a finalized trade to a complete fall out. Terrible.

I love how Pie is untouchable but they don't trust him to be an everyday player after 6 years as one of the most overhyped prospects in pro baseball.

Archived