Espn 1000: Roberts talks are off

JimboHendry

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a first time poster, I want to say how much I have enjoyed reading OH. Great, knowledgeable fans with great info.

I am a Cubs fan and reading this site over the last month has been fun. It is obvious that the Cubs have decided to move on. Roberts is a terrific player and would be a great addition to the team, but there are limits to how much one would give up for a 2nd baseman. It's not like a top pitcher or slugger, where teams are more willing to overpay with prospects.

I think Hendry and McPhail had the basics of a deal done and something or someone interfered with the final details. Bruce Levine is a pretty reliable source when it comes to Cubs info and he wouldn't say the deal is dead unless it was. He was the first in Chicago to say the Cubs were talking to the O's about Roberts after the Kaz Matsui deal fell through. I didn't hear his show this morning, but if that's what he said, then I would consider the deal dead.

I really enjoy this site and info I get from it.

What does this have to do with the info BB got about 2 players?

Wasn't Peace also at least alleged by Joey to have been involved in the behind the scenes information sharing? I thought he was the one with agent contacts and BB's contact(s) were within the warehouse. Are you saying that two of the Cubs players, but not Roberts, were notified? If he had been but it were still a secret, you'd think he would have either not answered the phone call from Anita Marks, or told her something off the record and asked her not to mention it on the air. I don't understand why she would have mentioned her conversation with him and that he said talks were ongoing but nothing was finalized if, in fact, he had been notified of a trade.

The thing that really doesn't make sense is that everyone said PA had agreed to trade BRob. So, why would he all of a sudden change his mind and why would AM be trying to trade BRob is PA told him no?

Just doesn't make sense.

Even more than that, could we really expect AM to still be here if PA had gone over his head? That would go against everything he said live on air when he took over. I doubt he needs this job that badly.

Just in general...I don't think anyone, besides AM, really knows what is going on.

My source could be wrong...BB's source could be wrong...It wouldn't be the first time someone had a source who had wrong info.

But AM is making it difficult on everyone.

I think you may mean misinformation then. My point is that disinformation is an intentional action, part of a strategy. Misinformation can be unintentional, simply erronious.

The thing that really doesn't make sense is that everyone said PA had agreed to trade BRob. So, why would he all of a sudden change his mind and why would AM be trying to trade BRob is PA told him no?

Just doesn't make sense.

Exactly. People may not like Angelos, and he may not always make great baseball decisions, but he knows how to run a business. He's not completely irrational or insane.

Wasn't Peace also at least alleged by Joey to have been involved in the behind the scenes information sharing? I thought he was the one with agent contacts and BB's contact(s) were within the warehouse. Are you saying that two of the Cubs players, but not Roberts, were notified? If he had been but it were still a secret, you'd think he would have either not answered the phone call from Anita Marks, or told her something off the record and asked her not to mention it on the air. I don't understand why she would have mentioned her conversation with him and that he said talks were ongoing but nothing was finalized if, in fact, he had been notified of a trade.

I don't Peace ever commented on it...He was away.

And BRob doesn't have to be one of the players who were informed. There were 3 other players.

Even more than that, could we really expect AM to still be here if PA had gone over his head? That would go against everything he said live on air when he took over. I doubt he needs this job that badly.

If you believed him on air then you must be gullible. Sorry, but if PA did intervene then AM would say OK boss and nothing more.

And BRob doesn't have to be one of the players who were informed. There were 3 other players.

Still you would think all of the players involved would have been informed at around the same time.

Also, Peace was back by the time people started reporting this deal was final and I'm pretty sure I remember a post from JoeyR5 claiming to have verified at least some part of his info with Peace. I couldn't begin to figure out where to find it since there have been so many long threads about this.

I think you may mean misinformation then. My point is that disinformation is an intentional action, part of a strategy. Misinformation can be unintentional, simply erronious.

That's pretty much the boat I'm on.

There's been so many reports about this trade that it's not even possible to tell what's bogus(intentional or not) and what the real story is. Especially when you consider that some of our insiders, who are normally on point, had wrong info.

No point in getting caught up in the drama of this whole debacle until things finally pan out.

If you believed him on air then you must be gullible. Sorry, but if PA did intervene then AM would say OK boss and nothing more.

MacPhail has pride and plenty of money. If Angelos was trying to make him the laughingstock of baseball while he's busy preparing his campaign for the commissioner job, he would quit in a heartbeat.

SG, it could be possible that PGA said he wasn't going to meddle but when it came down to the wire, he just couldn't stay out of it. I'd like to believe otherwise, but it's just too much like Angelos to meddle at the last minute (ex. Pat Gillick's proposed trades years ago).

sector7g - I seriously doubt that AM would just immediately walk away from his job if PGA nixed his trade. That would appear awfully immature to the rest of the world. Watch for him to quit within the next 12 months if PGA indeed meddled as he usually does.

Roberts and Gallagher are represented by the same agency. Maybe this is where the information is coming from.

sector7g - I seriously doubt that AM would just immediately walk away from his job if PGA nixed his trade. That would appear awfully immature to the rest of the world. Watch for him to quit within the next 12 months if PGA indeed meddled as he usually does.

Fair enough. But personally I don't think his reputation would have been tarnished at all by walking away. The opposite is true for me.

Archived