AJ had banana thrown at him today

SilentJames

Actually, that is naive. There is no "reverse" racism.

You know what the hell I meant. I find it totally hypocritical to see people think it's funny that someone would suggest AJ throw back a banjo and toothbrush which associates whites from Appalachia with such things. How about you turn it around. If someone had thrown a toothbrush and banjo onto the field at a white player, I'm pretty sure the person who said, "Wouldn't it be funny if the player threw a banana back at the fan" would be lambasted as being racist. Instead, you have a group of people who now think that racism, as long as it sent towards white people is just fine.

Ridiculous. Racism in any form is ugly and wrong, but it's en vogue to be able to call white people crackers or what not without being called on it by the media. It's all totally hypocritical and a sad commentary on where this country is heading quickly.

The guy who threw the banana very well may have been racist. If he/she threw the banana at AJ because he is black, it certainly shows an ignorance and certainly would be considered a racist act. Then again, it might have been the only thing left that he didn't eat and afterall, you can chuck a banana pretty far. The guy may not be a racist, just an idiot.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be useful to define terms. Racism:

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

: racial prejudice or discrimination http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism People from Appalachia don't represent any specific race, though most of them are Caucasoid. It is more of an ethnic slur.

The banjo and the toothbrush is a reference to Deliverance. I forget what state that is, but I would say it refers to an Appalachian culture. When you think of that kid with the banjo what do you associate with that?

Georgia.

This is actually kinda funny. I play mandolin in a bluegrass band and my buddy is over here reading this behind my back. He's the banjo player. Too many drinks on a Sunday and he's crashing here tonight. Who knew that we would actually find some banjo content on the web.. on an O's website...just wow.

He's says that it's pretty crappy (paraphrasing here) what happened to AJ today, but the rest of this thread is hilarious. I mean, we've gone to .... you can't criticize this racist action with this other cultural euphemism, because it's also racist, however, bear in mind that the critique of that euphemism can not contain any of that other list of words because that is offensive to other social subcultures and blah blah blah, don't forget that reverse racism doesn't exist because of semantics and the never ending search for balance found somewhere between verbose and loquacious tempered in the fire and glory of the run on sentence!

I'm out.. should have posted this in the "post here when you're drunk thread". O's rocked today! I'm off tomorrow and I'm gonna go celebrate a bit more.. oh and go do some pickin' with my banjo playin' buddy! Thank goodness for chrome auto-spell check. We could really use a fiddle player!:newcry:

Go O's!

My thought is that putting it out there just plays into the hands of the d-bag who did it. Obviously, he's not going to feel any shame.

Not putting it out there would be the problem. It certainly does not play into the hands of the man who did it. That is a proud fanbase and many will be disgusted by this. Adam did the right thing. The guy who did it may feel no shame, but others may be more inclined to stop the next guy. AJ was being proactive, not reactive. It would be awful if no one knew about it, imo. That is a serious issue.

I am so proud of Adam Jones and the way he has handled the knucklehead throwing the banana. I have only one O's T-shirt HIS. I was going to purchase a Manny Machado tee out of straight-up respect, but AJ is the Man. Much love going his way tonight and for all the Orioles Nation. True story, I actually saw a male Baltimore Oriole today! First time in 47 years. I love this team:hearts:

I am so proud of Adam Jones and the way he has handled the knucklehead throwing the banana. I have only one O's T-shirt HIS. I was going to purchase a Manny Machado tee out of straight-up respect, but AJ is the Man. Much love going his way tonight and for all the Orioles Nation. True story, I actually saw a male Baltimore Oriole today! First time in 47 years. I love this team:hearts:

Yes he handled it as well as anyone can. But I don't understand your post that this

is the first time in 47 years you saw a male Baltimore Oriole? Sorry I am old and

slow of thought. So what you are saying is flying over my head.

Yes he handled it as well as anyone can. But I don't understand your post that this

is the first time in 47 years you saw a male Baltimore Oriole? Sorry I am old and

slow of thought. So what you are saying is flying over my head.

I think he meant the actual bird.

Archived