Bud Norris has a great demeanor on the mound

Flacco Machado

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy is so bad, he wont will more than 17 games in his whole Oriole career, but he is already at 3-0. :)

Maybe not doom and gloom, but dang negative.

Actually, 2-0 as an Oriole.

But lets just ignore his career stats that show that Norris, Feldman, and Hammel are all statistically similar pitchers.

But lets just ignore his career stats that show that Norris, Feldman, and Hammel are all statistically similar pitchers.

I will give you Hammel and Feldman and I will take Norris. How much would you like to wager that either Hammel or Feldman will have more wins in the next 2 years than Norris?

Seriously, you may as well smash your head into a wall, it's an equally painful waste of time if you say Norris isn't a great pitcher.

"As he has done at other venues in his professional career, Bud Norris stood behind the mound in the fifth inning of his major league debut Wednesday and wrote the initials ‘KN’ in honor of his late grandfather, Ken Norris."

I'm shocked I remembered that without botching it.

Seriously though, the guy seems like a total class act. Very happy to have him aboard.

I will give you Hammel and Feldman and I will take Norris. How much would you like to wager that either Hammel or Feldman will have more wins in the next 2 years than Norris?

Oh I will take Norris over the other two definitely. Again, doesn't mean you ignore everything else because he has three good starts.

First off, he really showed me something yesterday. I thought he would be done after the 2nd inning. He persevered and fought his way through 5 tough innings and kept us in the game.

He can be very demonstrative on the mound. If you notice, before he throws his first pitch, he'll stand at the back of the mound for a good 30 seconds. He closes his eyes, takes some deep breaths, and I assume prays. Then, he'll mark something with his finger on the pitcher's mound. I wonder what it says? He's into every pitch. He just has a number of quirks, that I find cool.

Did anyone notice when Buck went over to take him out of the game, that Norris pointed to the field like, "I'm going back out there, right?" Buck said, "No". He shook his hand and then Bud punched the dugout roof with his LEFT hand. ("Remember that, Meat. Never hit anything or anybody with your pitching hand)".

Anyway, he just seems like a guy that cherishes every moment and every pitch he throws. Taking nothing for granted. It's hard not to root for a guy like that. I think it was a great trade for the O's to get Norris and I look forward to seeing what he does the rest of this season and the next two years as an Oriole.

Another thing I like about his thoroughly-in-the-game demeanor is the way he demonstratively points out the location of every pop-up or flyball. It may be unnecessary in most cases and someone on the game thread for his first O's start joked that he didn't really have to do that anymore now that he was no longer on the Astros. (Jon Miller also joked post-game yesterday that Norris must be amazed to see what it's like to pitch with a good defense behind him--"Where's that been all those years?!") But I think it shows the fielders how deeply engaged he is with *their* part of the game as well--and that must raise the collaborative spirit and focus of every Oriole.

Another thing I like about his thoroughly-in-the-game demeanor is the way he demonstratively points out the location of every pop-up or flyball. It may be unnecessary in most cases and someone on the game thread for his first O's start joked that he didn't really have to do that anymore now that he wasn't with the Astros. (Jon Miller also joked post-game yesterday that Norris must be amazed to see what it's like to pitch with a good defense behind him--"Where's that been all those years?!") But I think it shows the fielders how deeply engaged he is with *their* part of the game as well--and that must raise the collaborative spirit and focus of every Oriole.

Well put. He made me a little nervous on that under hand throw to Davis though. It was funny and scary at the same time. :D

Oh I will take Norris over the other two definitely. Again, doesn't mean you ignore everything else because he has three good starts.

It's amazing what some people come up with in their minds.

So Norris gets moved from the worst team in baseball to a contender, he gets moved from one of the worst defenses in baseball to the best in the history if baseball (thus far) and you think his start is a fluke because of his career numbers with the Astros??????

Give me a break, he's motivated, he's hungry and he has a lights out defense behind him for the first time in his career. Yesterday he had every opportunity to blow up and prove you right but he didn't, he stayed under control and kept us in it. I would be every penny I have if he were still pitching in Houston and he was on the ropes in San Fran, he gets torched. But pitching for a contender with a real defense behind him he buckles down and gets us through 5. That is what a good pitcher does when he doesn't have his good stuff.

I think Norris is a great pick up and will continue to battle for us all season long and will continue to prove that his Astros numbers are not the type of pitcher he is because he now has run support, he now plays on a winning team and most importantly, he has the best defense in baseball history behind him.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box, his old numbers are absolutely meaningless to me.

"As he has done at other venues in his professional career, Bud Norris stood behind the mound in the fifth inning of his major league debut Wednesday and wrote the initials ‘KN’ in honor of his late grandfather, Ken Norris."

I'm shocked I remembered that without botching it.

Seriously though, the guy seems like a total class act. Very happy to have him aboard.

Me too.

It's amazing what some people come up with in their minds.

So Norris gets moved from the worst team in baseball to a contender, he gets moved from one of the worst defenses in baseball to the best in the history if baseball (thus far) and you think his start is a fluke because of his career numbers with the Astros??????

Give me a break, he's motivated, he's hungry and he has a lights out defense behind him for the first time in his career. Yesterday he had every opportunity to blow up and prove you right but he didn't, he stayed under control and kept us in it. I would be every penny I have if he were still pitching in Houston and he was on the ropes in San Fran, he gets torched. But pitching for a contender with a real defense behind him he buckles down and gets us through 5. That is what a good pitcher does when he doesn't have his good stuff.

I think Norris is a great pick up and will continue to battle for us all season long and will continue to prove that his Astros numbers are not the type of pitcher he is because he now has run support, he now plays on a winning team and most importantly, he has the best defense in baseball history behind him.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box, his old numbers are absolutely meaningless to me.

You truly think he is a 2.8 ERA pitcher?

I doubt he will be as bad/average as he was with Houston, but he isn't going to be a sub 3.5 pitcher either.

Why are you so down on him? That is your business but I just wondering.

As I said, I was being facetious with the number based on the comparison with Scherzer. I think he is a fine #4 starter. It came with a high price tag, but it gives certainty to a position that was undecided for this year and next.

He has had 3 great starts, but that doesn't mean he is going to sustain this pace. People are posting like he will. People ignore the fact that Jason Hammel had a better month of July than Norris did (and Hammel wasn't that good). People are trying to erase the slate for him because he pitched for a bad team in Houston with a bad defense, but coming to the Orioles isn't going to magically make his ERA drop a run and a half or more.

Archived