Roberts since August 19th

Tony-OH

If I thought there was a substantial chance that playing Flaherty would improve our chances of winning more games, I wouldn't put Brian's personal situation above that of the team, but in the case of a close call (which this is, IMO), Roberts gets the nod.

Well, we're not really getting a chance to see if Flaherty could outperform the mediocrity that BRob is producing.

We can only see the below average offense and defense from BRob right now. I don't want to get into a discussion on your definition of "substantial chance", but the bar BRob is setting the past few weeks is not so high.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think BRob's at bat tonight in the seventh exemplifies why he continues to play despite a mediocre OPS.

Good AB, but his defensive miscues in the 15th are why he shouldn't be in at the end of or in extra innings. We were lucky not to have them cost us a run.

His defense is a liability.

Good AB, but his defensive miscues in the 15th are why he shouldn't be in at the end of or in extra innings. We were lucky not to have them cost us a run.

His defense has been good since the start of August. But he's had some bad plays the last two nights. Actually, I'd pull him now. Maddon has 6 starters out of this game and Buck has 8 starters still playing.

The first dp wasn't his fault. The throw was in the dirt but online, Davis had no reason to pull his foot.

His defense has been good since the start of August. But he's had some bad plays the last two nights. Actually, I'd pull him now. Maddon has 6 starters out of this game and Buck has 8 starters still playing.

You're right, but the bad plays were bound to happen because he's over exposed. There's no good reason not to have Flaherty or Casilla in at the end of a game for defensive purposes especially when we have a lead. It gets a little trickier when it's tied because of the ABs he occasionally has as was the case tonight.

Since Brian Roberts went on that tear for about a little over a week in August and sent his supporters into the "I told you so" mode, he's hit .198/.274/.333/.607 in his last 106 PAs and basically becoming the player that I thought he truly was.

Add in his two defensively miscues last night (neither were called an error but both cost us runners that thankfully did not hurt the team) and we have to ask, should he be playing every day down the stretch?

Flaherty has received only 27 PAs over the same stretch and his hit .217/.333/.435/.768 while playing much better defense (something even most Roberts supporters would attest to).

Why not give Flaherty some starts against right-handers leaving Roberts to pinch hit in a crucial late inning situation that he's excelled at this year?

Maybe Roberts has one more tear in him, but I still think he's better served coming off the bench at this stage in his career.

Do I think Buck will do this? Nope. But I would.

Splits for the last 28 days

Davis .221/.295/.432/.727

Weiters .188/.216/.300/.516

Machado .238/.252/.400/.652

McLouth .227/.301/.387/.688

Jones .224/.295/.426/.721

Markakis .244/.281/.344/.625

Roberts .207/.293/.329/.623

From that I would without a doubt say our biggest problem has been our pitching.

And then we have Hardy and Valencia

Hardy .300/.351/.478/.828

Valencia .418/.439/.727/1.166

Splits for the last 28 days

Davis .221/.295/.432/.727

Weiters .188/.216/.300/.516

Machado .238/.252/.400/.652

McLouth .227/.301/.387/.688

Jones .224/.295/.426/.721

Markakis .244/.281/.344/.625

Roberts .207/.293/.329/.623

From that I would without a doubt say our biggest problem has been our pitching.

And then we have Hardy and Valencia

Hardy .300/.351/.478/.828

Valencia .418/.439/.727/1.166

To me, the stats on these players shows how Buck has failed to give ample rest. We have run these players into the ground.

To me, the stats on these players shows how Buck has failed to give ample rest. We have run these players into the ground.

This was hit on during today's broadcast. 5 players with over 150 games played. They are tired, and its showing. Not a good year of managing for Buck, but it also shows how weak our bench is that he never wanted to rest anyone. We're get em next year.

This was hit on during today's broadcast. 5 players with over 150 games played. They are tired, and its showing. Not a good year of managing for Buck, but it also shows how weak our bench is that he never wanted to rest anyone. We're get em next year.

Our bench was not so weak that he couldn't give guys a day off every couple of weeks. It's great that they want to play every day. That doesn't mean they should.

Archived