Roberts since August 19th

Tony-OH

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you are right that too many people have such low expectations that they are happy he's not the .575 OPS guy he was over the last three years. He's clearly better now that he's healthy, but he's still not what we need everyday. At best he's replacement level, and the Orioles need to do better. At least Flaherty brings plus defense and power potential. All I've been trying to say is I think the team would be better with Flaherty playing everyday and Roberts coming off the bench. Apparently that's equivalent to being the anti-christ by some around here. ;)

Is it better to put Robert's "pitches seen" and high RISP in as a PH or leave him as a starter. What good does a bench bat with high RISP do if the Orioles do most of their scoring in the first 6 innings. Buck only seems comfortable switching out Morse/McLouth early in a game.

With Valencia hitting so well, there isn't an option to have both Flaherty and Roberts in the line-up at the same time. Wouldn't it be better to have Flaherty's power potential as a bench bat while Roberts is left in more often?

Who said I was talking about you? Good God you spend half your time on here just trying to counteract anything I say anyways. Stop taking things so literal. There were plenty of people in that thread all pumped up when Roberts went on his hot week. They have been quiet as he's hit around the low .600 OPS since then. Last night he screwed up two plays that should have been made and most likely would have been made by Flaherty. Just because it didn't cost us doesn't mean it won't. Unfortunately, too many people see him make the routine play or turn the routine DP and think hey, he's fine out there. Well, he is fine on routine plays but so would 90% of the infielders you put out there. It's the non-routine plays where the good defensive players will show their worth.

I'm not a Brian Roberts "hater" like one of the fanboys on here called me. I'm a guy with a scouting background that thinks Flaherty is the better player. Anyone is fine to disagree and prove it otherwise but to get all defensive like some on here is just plain ridiculous. It is amazing how little respect some of you have around here. You would think I've proven myself by this point but I'm still called a hater and act like I'm some reactionary poster by some.

Whatever, it's the internet, and I probably should spend less time dealing with the yahoos and stick to talking with people who want to have a good discussion, even when we disagree. Thsi is what the Hangout is about and has always been about. It's not about only saying rainbows and unicorns about everything!

Anyone who disagrees on this subject has been met with accusations of being a Roberts fan-boy. You have been so anti-Roberts it has been hard to have a conversation because things always devolve into a you-or-me battle.

I can't cut and paste because I'm on my phone but something Tony wrote in a previous post caught my attention.

Just because Roberts defense didn't cost us last night doesn't mean it won't going forward.

Count me as one of those who didn't really think much of Roberts and still don't. I have to admit I have been pleasantly surprised with his ability to hit with RISP and his defense. (I expected his defense to be much worse than it has been.) His range is bad and his arm strength is no where near Flaherty's.

I don't see things changing going forward, but could we at least see a defensive replacement for Roberts in the final inning?

Most reasonable posters on the board, know you're wrong. You can call posters like Frobby and myself, Dan-O, and Murph, fanboys if you want but name calling and complete lack of evidence is seen for what it is around here. Spin it all you want.

I want to make it clear that I have no personal dispute with Tony about this, and I don't consider him (as someone said) a Roberts "hater." I think his argument is a reasonable one, I just don't agree with he way he sliced the data. Put me in the crowd that thinks that substantively, it probably makes little difference one way or the other which one of them plays, and emotionally, in that scenario I'm happy to see BRob getting to play every day in a pennant race after what he contributed as a player through 2009 and what he has suffered through from 2010 through June of this year. If I thought there was a substantial chance that playing Flaherty would improve our chances of winning more games, I wouldn't put Brian's personal situation above that of the team, but in the case of a close call (which this is, IMO), Roberts gets the nod.

Archived