How would you feel if Cal Ripken managed another MLB team?

AlbionHero

If you guys ever drop that grudge, let us know. It seems pretty heavy and might roll around a bit, so we'll want to be on the lookout so that we can dodge it if need be.

Right? My goodness, people still act like that's the biggest offense of all time. Everyone has said something stupid, I'd hate to see how some people around here would treat a family member if they said something equally as stupid. Belts might be coming off.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are his credentials? He's never coached; not even on the bench. I'm not aware of any managerial or leaderships skills he possesses. He never seemed to be the "go to" guy that teammates look towards as a leader or as a team captain. He's a part time instructor and businessman. Managing requires a lot more. He'd be a curiosity for a team looking for a big name. I think he'd be a dismal failure.

Here's how Cal responded when Rich Eisen asked him about Werth lobbying for him to get the job. He didn't exactly reject the idea.

“Well, I mean, it’s kind of funny where I sit,” Ripken began, after another laugh. “I have said that at some point I’d like to come back to baseball. And most recently, I said that I’m starting to get an itch to do that. But I’d have to look hard at any opportunity, and so far, I haven’t been asked to do anything. So it’s very flattering that people think of me that way, and I have thought about how cool it would be to manage.

“And even Donny Mattingly got me thinking about this a little bit more,” Ripken continued. “He said there’s nothing like being a player, and coaching is pretty good because you help other people do what it is that they do. But managing is the closest thing to being a player. And I’ve always thought that, anyway, internally. Now I’m starting to think about that a little bit more. So far I’ve got nothing new to report, but that’s been the consistency, that I’ve made those statements. And I am getting a feeling that maybe I’d like to get back in.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/10/08/cal-ripken-responds-to-jayson-werth-about-nats-manager-job/

Got a mostly meaningless text from ESPN just now saying "After Jayson Werth says Cal Ripken should manage Nats, legend says he likely wants back in game".

I, for one, would be furious if Cal hitched his wagon to another team. How can the O's prevent this from happening given Buck's six year deal?

What do you think is the likelihood of Cal managing the Nationals?

Got a mostly meaningless text from ESPN just now saying "After Jayson Werth says Cal Ripken should manage Nats, legend says he likely wants back in game".

I, for one, would be furious if Cal hitched his wagon to another team. How can the O's prevent this from happening given Buck's six year deal?

What do you think is the likelihood of Cal managing the Nationals?

This subject has been discussed here.

A vast majority of the posters will be up in arms

a smaller amount will support the guy, unless he is playing the Orioles,

and another smaller amount is indifferent to the ideal.

Right? My goodness, people still act like that's the biggest offense of all time. Everyone has said something stupid, I'd hate to see how some people around here would treat a family member if they said something equally as stupid. Belts might be coming off.

Oh well, at least he didn't predict the O's were going to get swept out of the playoffs and instantly became persona non grata among the current team.

Wow. That's pretty low of the Braves players in my opinion. Chipper voiced his opinion and he was exactly right. Seems pretty childish of the Braves players to not catch his first pitch.

The only thing that worries me about Cal managing another team is he probably would take Brady with him on his staff. I like what Brady has done for the O's these past few years and think he might be in line to replace Buck down the road.

If one of the knocks on Cal, is he has no manager experience, then that would be true of Brady too.

Archived