Granderson?

andrewrickli

The tale of two seasons. McLouth was significantly worse in the 2nd half of the year. You get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of Ellsbury. He's still riding the success of the season he had a few years back. He'll never repeat the power he displayed that year. Choo would be my choice, if they were willing to open up their wallet. It's just ashame we're stuck with a meandering Markakis in RF. We could really use a power bat at that position.

And yet for another year we do have Nick.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He still hit for average, got on base at a .350+ clip, and stole 52 bases. Sign me up. We don't need him to hit 30 homers anyway.

He wouldn't steal as much and the defense would be mediocre at best (not great). But he would definitely get on base and hit bombs.

I don't really like what Granderson has become, an all-or-nothing type hitter with falling on base numbers. That obp is caving toward .300 and that's probably part of a general decline he's experiencing. I think he's basically Mark Reynolds.

Well he might be Mark Reynolds in his profile as a high HR, low BA guy, but their career accomplishments are very far apart. From 2006-2012, Granderson had seven consecutive seasons of at least 3 rWAR, while Reynolds has had only one such season in his whole career. Now you might think because of his age that Granderson won't reach that level of play again, and that's certainly a fair argument, but he's clearly a more reliable option than Reynolds.

Is that really much of a positive if he continues to hit .230? His OBP since the start of 2012 is .318. And his road OPS over the same period is about .730. I would be very wary.

I do agree that the OBP decline is concerning, and adding yet another high-SLG low-OBP guy to our lineup might be repetitive. I definitley wouldn't pay Granderson any more than the 3/30 suggested somewhere in this thread, and that third year would bother me a bit. But I would like us to consider him. I think the odds say Granderson is a much better player per $ over the next couple of years than McLouth.

He still hit for average, got on base at a .350+ clip, and stole 52 bases. Sign me up. We don't need him to hit 30 homers anyway.

The problem is we have a RF with below average power. I don't think this team can afford to play another below average power guy in LF. Not unless they upgrade the DH or 2b positions. And I still think Choo would be a better investment than Elsbury.

I guess not. He's a -2 dWAR player, who was worth 4.2 WAR this season. I'd be stunned if he sniffed 100M, especially considering his splits.
Oh he'll get the 100 M if Hunter Pence got 90 M, I just hope it's not from us. If we are going cheap then we should go McLouth and Pearce or upping it a tad Murphy and Pearce. Or getting really rich for our bloodless owners' blood, Murphy/Davis. Next into the stratosphere of fantasy, would be Marlon Byrd, but of course he would mortgage our future for at least one year. Next up would be Cruz for 1/10, Beltran for 2/20, Granderson 3/30, and Ellsbury, at 5 /75.

Oh he'll get the 100 M if Hunter Pence got 90 M, I just hope it's not from us. If we are going cheap then we should go McLouth and Pearce or upping it a tad Murphy and Pearce. Or getting really rich for our bloodless owners' blood, Murphy/Davis. Next into the stratosphere of fantasy, would be Marlon Byrd, but of course he would mortgage our future for at least one year. Next up would be Cruz for 1/10, Beltran for 2/20, Granderson 3/30, and Ellsbury, at 5 /75.

And yet, in and of itself, that's stlll no stairway to Heaven.

Is that really much of a positive if he continues to hit .230? His OBP since the start of 2012 is .318. And his road OPS over the same period is about .730. I would be very wary.

His WAR the last few years has still been solid; a .318 OBP isn't as bad as it used to be. $10 mil a year wouldn't be a horrible bet, but I agree that ballpark/age/injury worries make me lean toward staying away.

Archived