Granderson?

andrewrickli

I just think the only way Ellsbury would sign here (even if he wasn't going to cost too much) would be to play center. With our current roster construction it would make the most sense too. Either way, this is strictly hypothetical since there is zero chance we are even going to be in play.

No, he wouldn't sign here just to have to slide down the defensive spectrum. But, yea, it's all hypothetical. I can't even imagine the bizarre contortions you'd have to go through to end up with the Orioles signing away a major free agent from a far more well-heeled division foe.

And if they did, it would mean the Sox didn't really want him back and then I'd be very worried about what the O's just committed themselves to.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, he wouldn't sign here just to have to slide down the defensive spectrum. But, yea, it's all hypothetical. I can't even imagine the bizarre contortions you'd have to go through to end up with the Orioles signing away a major free agent from a far more well-heeled division foe.

And if they did, it would mean the Sox didn't really want him back and then I'd be very worried about what the O's just committed themselves to.

I agree, but if I'm the owner of the O's tomorrow, I'm trying to trade Markakis for salary relief and a B-/C+ prospect, signing Ellsbury, moving Jones to RF and trying to find a guy like Gomes in left field (could swap Jones/Gomes). I'd overpay for Ellsbury. He's the type of player we need. Granted, Choo is only 1 year older and has a more consistent track record, so I get that argument.

What does this mean? The Yankees are in a bind, they need starting pitching, they need bullpen help, they are going to need to resign Cano. Where is all of this money coming from? They need to stay under the tax threshold this year as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Granderson test the FA market.

The Yankees have a lot of salary coming off the books. They are not in a bind.

The Yankees do not need to resign Cano. He wants 10 years and Steinbrenner already said that ain't happening.

They do not have to stay under the tax threshold and they won't if it means they won't be fielding a top contending team.

Granderson could test the FA market but he loves NYC.

The Chicago Sun reported a few days ago that the White Sox will be making a strong push to sign him. He has ties to the area.  He grew up in south suburban Lynwood and played high school baseball at Thornton Fractional South and college ball at UIC. UIC recently broke ground on a new baseball facility donated by, you guessed it, Granderson.

That, coupled with the idea that they figure me might come cheaper than expected because he's coming off a 61 game season thanks to 2 injuries.

The Yankees have a lot of salary coming off the books. They are not in a bind.

The Yankees do not need to resign Cano. He wants 10 years and Steinbrenner already said that ain't happening.

They do not have to stay under the tax threshold and they won't if it means they won't be fielding a top contending team.

Granderson could test the FA market but he loves NYC.

The Chicago Sun reported a few days ago that the White Sox will be making a strong push to sign him. He has ties to the area.  He grew up in south suburban Lynwood and played high school baseball at Thornton Fractional South and college ball at UIC. UIC recently broke ground on a new baseball facility donated by, you guessed it, Granderson.

That, coupled with the idea that they figure me might come cheaper than expected because he's coming off a 61 game season thanks to 2 injuries.

Well which is it, does Granderson stay in NY or go to CHI? The MFY are still serious about the luxury tax. A lot depends on how much of ARoid's salary they have to pay this year. Of course Cano is asking for 10 years. If he said he wanted, less then the MFY would offer much less. I'll be surprised if Cano isn't back but I wont be surprised if Grandrson isn't.

I've heard that before.

I don't realistically see it happening, to keeping wanting, is only going to anger you, when it doesn't happen.

It's not going to anger me, I don't take any of this that seriously. I'll get angry when they cut my SS. If it were me I would spend the money on Abreu. He could DH and play a little LF and would give us the option to trade Davis if he doesn't extend, We could move him to 1B in that event. Of course they won't do it. Marlon Byrd is more realistic, but who wants to get excited about that.

Well which is it, does Granderson stay in NY or go to CHI? The MFY are still serious about the luxury tax. A lot depends on how much of ARoid's salary they have to pay this year. Of course Cano is asking for 10 years. If he said he wanted, less then the MFY would offer much less. I'll be surprised if Cano isn't back but I wont be surprised if Grandrson isn't.

He'll probably stay in NY but he'd be foolish not to test FA to gauge interest. IMO, the White Sox, who lost 99 games this year, just don't look like a desirable place to land. But that doesn't mean they won't make a move on him. Another more successful team could interest him.

As for the luxury tax, Cashman said the organization’s goal to bring 2014 payroll below $189 million won’t get in the way of fielding a World Series-quality team. “It’s a goal, not a mandate. Every option, every opportunity that comes my way via trade or free agency, I will always present to my owner and team president for evaluation.” I don't think NY's FO is stupid enough to think they can ask their fan base to sit tight for a couple of years while they restock and rebuild.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/cashman-says-yankees-189-million-payroll-goal-is-not-a-mandate.html

I understand what you are saying about Cano going in high with his initial Christmas List. But I think NY could let Cano walk. Steinbrenner said no to the 10 year deal. Magic Johnson said the Dodgers won't be looking to sign him. Cano may find the market is unwilling or unable to take on 10 years and $305M.

NY could certainly move on without him. Teams are slowly coming around to realize that maybe those 10 year deals aren't all they're cracked up to be after all. And as Steinbrenner said, "Is anybody an absolute must-to-sign? No. And that's nothing against Robby. It's just not reasonable to assume that about anybody."

He'll probably stay in NY but he'd be foolish not to test FA to gauge interest. IMO, the White Sox, who lost 99 games this year, just don't look like a desirable place to land. But that doesn't mean they won't make a move on him. Another more successful team could interest him.

As for the luxury tax, Cashman said the organization’s goal to bring 2014 payroll below $189 million won’t get in the way of fielding a World Series-quality team. “It’s a goal, not a mandate. Every option, every opportunity that comes my way via trade or free agency, I will always present to my owner and team president for evaluation.” I don't think NY's FO is stupid enough to think they can ask their fan base to sit tight for a couple of years while they restock and rebuild.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/cashman-says-yankees-189-million-payroll-goal-is-not-a-mandate.html

I understand what you are saying about Cano going in high with his initial Christmas List. But I think NY could let Cano walk. Steinbrenner said no to the 10 year deal. Magic Johnson said the Dodgers won't be looking to sign him. Cano may find the market is unwilling or unable to take on 10 years and $305M.

NY could certainly move on without him. Teams are slowly coming around to realize that maybe those 10 year deals aren't all they're cracked up to be after all. And as Steinbrenner said, "Is anybody an absolute must-to-sign? No. And that's nothing against Robby. It's just not reasonable to assume that about anybody."

You admit that Cano is just putting out the 10/305 as an opening bid, but then you keep taking it literally. Same with Cashman's and Johnson's statements. Opening salvo's and not to be taken seriously. Cano is the best player on the MFY and they are going to do their best to keep him. They also have to sign at least two SP, so it would seem to me Granderson is more of the odd man out. It may well be that a 3/45M offer from CHI would look mighty good to him.

You admit that Cano is just putting out the 10/305 as an opening bid, but then you keep taking it literally. Same with Cashman's and Johnson's statements. Opening salvo's and not to be taken seriously. Cano is the best player on the MFY and they are going to do their best to keep him. They also have to sign at least two SP, so it would seem to me Granderson is more of the odd man out. It may well be that a 3/45M offer from CHI would look mighty good to him.

Oh, no. I think Cano and his camp are very serious about their wish list. He dumped Boras and went with Roc Nation Sports and Jay-Z. They want A-Rod type money (contract terms + incentive clauses to pass the $275 million mark and push it to $305 million). I think it's an ill-conceived idea that somehow his agency feels that Cano will be able to slip in behind Jeter when he leaves and Cano will become the new face of the franchise. That's what I think they are trying to sell to the NY FO.

Magic Johnson's comments got the attention of the MLB FO for possible tampering. He basically said the Dodgers aren't going to be interested in Cano. It's certainly possible he's blowing smoke and wants to bring Cano to LA.

As for Cashman, why wouldn't I take him literally. I don't see how he could be any clearer in his remarks. He's saying that sure, it would be nice to get to the $189 million mark and that's our goal; but, it's not a do or die mandate. It's common knowledge that the team is committed each year to getting to the World Series. Anything else is deemed as failure. He said they will not slash salary if it means the team they are putting on the field is incapable of getting to the World Series. If I can find it, I'll link an article I read in which the NYY's discovered that the benefit they would receive by getting to the magical $189 million mark was not as large as they originally estimated and therefore the incentive to get to that mark was not as compelling.

If Granderson wants out of NY and it's only about money, then hopefully he can find happiness playing in a half full U.S. Cellular Field.

I've watched how the NYY's operate and I'd put nothing past them. If they have needs going into 2014 they will do what it takes to fill those needs if they are available. If it means spending, they'll spend. As a $3 billion dollar enterprise, the one need the NYY's don't need to worry about is money.

Archived