Orioles Listening to Offers on Jim Johnson

weams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or -

March 26 -- Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2014 salary

So if I understand correctly. We can go to arb, win or lose and then just cut him on March 25th and not owe him anything?

The only wrinkle in all of this is that DD said publicly we would pick up his option. That shocked me when he said it and makes me think he will still be around. I hope not, time to move on.

If you say you aren't going to pick up his option it is pretty hard to trade him. If you know you have teams that want him you pick up his option and gives you time to work out a deal.

The only wrinkle in all of this is that DD said publicly we would pick up his option. That shocked me when he said it and makes me think he will still be around. I hope not, time to move on.

I am no expert on the legalese, but I believe that you mean tender him a contract, rather than pick up his option.

Jim Johnson: Earlier this week, the Baltimore Sun suggested that Johnson might be better off moving into the Orioles rotation. With Buster Olney tweeting that Baltimore is "willing to listen to offers" for their 2013 closer, it's beginning to look like he may not be around at all in 2014.

From Insider .... Doesn't mention who would be interested....but still interesting.

We can believe anything we want here. The facts are that some Major League GMs still value a solid ninth inning.

Jim Johnson has some value. Especially to a team with a higher payroll budget. Possibly a team that has failed in the playoffs because of their lack of attention to late relief.

Sure he has "some" value but it isn't much.

JJ at 6m has some value, at 10m it is negligible especially with the closer market right now.

Archived