Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

You are misinterpreting chunks of 140 characters.

-The O's are in talks with Balfour.

-Some less than reputable tweeters proclaimed the deal done

-Buck is interviewed on National TV and says there is no official deal

-Official beat reporters are explaining that the deal is not done

-The O's are still talking with Balfour

There are only a few chairs left. Balfour knows the parameters of his offers. The Orioles will sign him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are only a few chairs left. Balfour knows the parameters of his offers. The Orioles will sign him.

Usually when talks and rumors reach this level, the O's actually DO sign the player.

I am expecting this sign. If it doesn't happen you can expect pages of complaining and rants.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> have talked parameters with Balfour's agent. Next comes the formal offer. Then, many believe, a deal</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">December 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ETA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewRickli">@AndrewRickli</a> Didn't you write that they signed him?</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 10, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shouldn't it be beneath Roch to even respond to this kid? He's a paid journalist and this kid is on a trip to disney with his parents. I guess the guy is really that threatened.

More likely, Beane deals JJ mid-year and eats $2M-$4M and ends up having bought a quality prospect and half a year of JJ for $8M or so. This works if JJ performs in 2014.

I've seen this written again and again. But why would Oakland do this? If the team is competitive, JJ is likely a factor, and they're not going to trade him. If they're competitive despite JJ, then he's not going to have any trade value. The only scenario this makes sense is if Oakland tanks early. Then, of course, JJ will be on the market. But that would be true for every other team in MLB.

This is all pretty straightforward, not some secret next-level thinking by baseball sorcerer Billy Beane.

You go whatever it takes at this point. The fanbase cannot take another disappointment.

Balfour signs with the Red Sox!

I seriously doubt the fanbase is waiting with bated breath over the potential signing of Grant Balfour.

And I really don't want the Orioles to do "whatever it takes," if it takes something stupid then don't do it.

This is the stuff I'm talking about, calm the heck down dude - its a game.

Archived