Orioles deal with Grant Balfour Cancelled

Greg

Makes sense. Gausman also makes sense except they probably hope he can contribute as a starter this year. I also think there is a case to be made for shifting Norris to closer and replacing him with a Maholm type starter.

I think Wright's ceiling as a starter is a #4 guy. I don't mind losing that to the bullpen. He also has a decent K rate. Hopefully he is one of those guys whose stuff ticks up in relief.

I think the O's are going to need Gausman in the rotation.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes sense. Gausman also makes sense except they probably hope he can contribute as a starter this year. I also think there is a case to be made for shifting Norris to closer and replacing him with a Maholm type starter.

Unless he can get LHB out there is no difference than giving Hunter that chance. Wright really does make more sense, but I'm almost certain they won't try it.

Well, sure if you or me were running things, but I think it's a bit of a long shot at this point. What do you think they go internally with someone else though?

I think that if they go with Hunter he is out of the role by the all star break.

I don't think they traded for Bud to put him into the pen.

I don't think they want a guy with a funky delivery closing.

I think that with Patton out they can't afford to move Matusz into the closer role.

I don't know enough about all the other options that have been added this year to make an informed decision.

What does this meaaan????????

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duq: "I can also tell you that these processes & these opinions vary from club to club and doctor to doctor." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 20, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That he might pass another team's physical.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duq: "I can also tell you that these processes & these opinions vary from club to club and doctor to doctor." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

It means he's trying to take some of the poison out of the well, so Balfour can sign somewhere and not raise a stink about the O's destroying the market for him.

That means "when another club signs him, and doesn't find what we "found" in his physical just remember that all doctors are different".

That statement right there is just a preemptive strike for when he signs with someone else. What a joke. He knows damn well that he is going to get picked up by someone and is just trying to get out ahead of the backlash that will surely happen from the fans.

Duq: "I can also tell you that these processes & these opinions vary from club to club and doctor to doctor."
#orioles
? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
December 20, 2013

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Our doctors processes are the same as everyone else, but then we have to run it by Pete. That's the only opinion that counts. ;)

If I were him I would probably sign anywhere else on principle. We just scorched the earth underneath him. Not that I am necessarily blaming the O's. This is the reason why Angelos thought deals should not be announced until after the physical. It's as bad (arguably worse) for the player to have the team walk away as it is for the team.

He had another offer for more $$$ be interesting to see if that's where he ends up

The mystery is killer and will only add fuel to the anti-Peter crowd. Whether it's warranted or not I doubt we'll ever know. Either way this is a tough pill to swallow. We either dodged a bullet or we jumped in front of one. Time will tell...

What exactly is Angelos afraid of? This team initially signed Tsuyoshi Wada to a 2 year, $8.15 Million contract, and he didn't throw one pitch for the big league club. Yet, we won't pay for a player coming off of a productive season that had surgery 8 years ago? Give me a break...injuries can happen to anyone at any time...why pay anyone with that logic?

Archived