Orioles deal with Grant Balfour Cancelled

Greg

I will be happy to say they were right. My instinct is to say that they are being overly cautious, another team will sign him and he'll be very effective for the next two years.

After this I highly doubt another team will give him a 2-year deal. The Orioles, whether right or wrong, have killed this guy's value...at least for 2014.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be happy to say they were right. My instinct is to say that they are being overly cautious, another team will sign him and he'll be very effective for the next two years.

I think the Orioles tried to re-work the deal. Balfour and his agent are probably confident that another team will not have a problem with the medicals. We'll see.

I think there is *something* there. If he holds up and performs well for the next two years I don't know.

And my comment was only marginally related to you.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette said he was not worried about a grievance matter w/ Balfour. Deal was pending a phsyical. "There’s no contract here for the team."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">December 20, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If the contract was for 2M, the Orioles would have assumed the risk and Balfour would have passed the physical. Does anyone doubt that?

I wouldn't blame them. It is a matter of risk/reward.

They signed whats his name with the bad hip a couple years ago even tho they knew he probably wouldn't pitch.

That whatever showed up on Balfours medical wasn't enough for the Orioles to just say Balfour was damaged goods and they didn't want to sign him. They were probably willing to sign him for a lower amount. For a lower amount they would assume the risk of Balfour not breaking down. If Balfour will breakdown is total guesswork.

Apparently, the O's feel like it's enough of a probability to be unworthy of a $15 million risk. How much of a risk they think he's worth is anyone's guess.

That statement right there is just a preemptive strike for when he signs with someone else. What a joke. He knows damn well that he is going to get picked up by someone and is just trying to get out ahead of the backlash that will surely happen from the fans.

:agree:

(maybe in a few days from now we find out that Balfour does have a real injury and the organization is vindicated, but as of right now this series of events sure does feel like an Angelos special.)

I think the Orioles tried to re-work the deal. Balfour and his agent are probably confident that another team will not have a problem with the medicals. We'll see.

Bingo!!i we have a winner :agree: AND YEA if the shoulder breaks down I will gladly eat some crow :D

I think we all know what happened. He had a shoulder injury back in the day, and is recovered. DD did his thing, and went to sign the best closer on the market. Now some doctor who PA hired to be overly cautious, says irregardless of how Balfour has performed, he does not like how the arm looks. PA jumps in and being a risk adverse lawyer says this is not a good deal.

The issue is, Balfour was willing to take less money because he wanted to play here, and now his market value has been seriously hurt. Obviously other agents, and players will notice, and this will hurt our ability to sign players. The reality is, Tommy John and arm issues in general are the norm, and signing pitchers is an absolute crap shoot.

What's funny is it is position players that PA gives the big money too, and they repeatedly have issues and disappoint. Belle? Markakis? Roberts?

Archived