Schmuck's sure to ruffle some feathers with his latest article

ChaosLex

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this article "ruffles some feathers," that is sad indeed. All Schmuck has done is to recite some of the facts about one part of the Orioles' off-season saga and conclude that it has left them "vulnerable" as far as acquiring a closer is concerned. The facts are that the Orioles traded one of the league's top closers and have been unsuccessful in signing a free agent (or making a trade) to replace him. Schmuck presents those facts in about as nice away as one can.

But the real problem is that there's no reporting here -- nothing about why the Orioles' pre-season has been conducted in a way that threatens to weaken the team significantly. I doubt it took more than half an hour to write this. Many of those who post on this board could have written this article in less time, although most probably would have used a very different tone. There are no quotes from anyone inside (or outside) the organizations, and the two statements attributed to Duquette appear to be from the conference call that the team set up.

Schmuck has nothing to say about the fundamental questions as to how this franchise is being run. Has Angelos set a firm cap for the 2014 payroll? If so, what is it, and where did that number come from? Did Angelos play a role in the decision to trade Johnson? Are the Orioles surprised that the prices for veteran closers are so high? Has Angelos nixed signings or trades? Any self-respecting journalist would ask those and other questions, dig for answers to them and, at a minimum, state that the writer contacted every member of Orioles' senior management, but nobody would discuss the decision-making process, and that repeated efforts to interview Peter Angelos on these matters have been rejected. (In addition, Schmuck is supposed to be a baseball insider. Has he tried to find out what officials on other teams, especially those in the AL East, think about the Orioles moves and non-moves?)

If I were writing this column, and got no answers to these kinds of questions, I would assemble some of the facts that support an inference that Angelos is behind some of those decisions, explain that the wall of silence and his refusal to talk with the media tend to support these inferences, and say that many of the team's most loyal fans are disgusted with what appear to be ownership's meddling and parsimony just as the team was becoming competitive for the first time in well over a decade.

The team replaced McLouth with a younger, cheaper, controllable version of himself. Valencia is easy to replace. Dealing Valencia after the best 150 ABs of his career was exactly the correct move.

No they replaced him with a guy who has about half a season of decent MLB stats and some potential. This team came into the offseason with some needs but a significant opportunity to make a statement that they want to compete. They have failed miserably.

Instead what they have done is sit on their hands, mumble about their budget and manage to look silly in the way the whole Balfour thing went down. Its a joke that our fans after all those lost years we finally seemed to be turning the corner and the one thing Pete was supposed to do (spend to compliment the core) was really just a bunch of snakeoil salesman bunk. There is a contingent on this board that I think would clap if they signed Hilary Clinton to play 2B and talk about how much her experience as Secretary of State will help her bridge the gap between our American and International players.

If AAAA fodder is good enough for you then god bless you. This is a team that has the resources to compete but just does not appear to be willing to invest in their own product to this point. Its a real shame cause this city is just looking for an excuse to back this team and they continue to give fans reasons to doubt their motivations.

Balfour deal is dead, Rodney is clearly inferior.

Obviously the only guy that is even a remote possibility is Burnett. You are in fantasy land if you think there is a chance for the others.

Like who? All ears. Remember has to be cheap, young, and under control for the next 5 years or no dice.

Considering that probably none or very little of what you outlined is going to happen, there is little chance for a "successful" offseason at this point.

They appear to be talking to Morales. Besides they can get the extra pick when Davis leaves after next season.

The team replaced McLouth with a younger, cheaper, controllable version of himself. Valencia is easy to replace. Dealing Valencia after the best 150 ABs of his career was exactly the correct move.

You mean they replaced him with a younger cheaper ex all-star / gold glover!?

Please tell me who that is.... Because I have no idea what you are talking about.

You mean they replaced him with a younger cheaper ex all-star / gold glover!?

Please tell me who that is.... Because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Did the guy we lost play like a gold glover? Did he produce all star like numbers at his advanced age with our organization? Or did his offensive numbers decline dramatically after the all star game (in which he did not participate) and he was exposed when played as an every day left fielder to be very easily pitched to by fellow left handers. Also he stopped stealing bases which seemed odd. I think he is on a career decline myself. I wanted him re-signed last off season. Not this one.

Spot on by Mr. Schmuck. He's really laid it on the Orioles recently.

Personally, I like the additions we've made. But, we still need a legitimate stick for the middle of this lineup and, I would say, TWO starting pitchers. One of those pitchers should be a good one and the other could be a 4th starter "innings eater".

I think for the Orioles to be consider a real threat in the AL East following the Yankees additions and the Red Sox comong off a world championship would need to add two starters and a DH. I actually think they could find a guy to get the last 3 outs from within and have never understood the logic in the last 3 outs being more important than the first 24. If you take more leads into the 9th this year than last than you will likely be no worse in terms of total games saved. 9 blown saves is a very bad year for a closer (even if they had more chances). If you have limited resources spend them on people who do the work for leads to be taken into the 9th. Just my two cents, but I would rather have someone like Hunter close than and land a quality #3 starter than to give big money to a closer and find a starter from within.

No they replaced him with a guy who has about half a season of decent MLB stats and some potential. This team came into the offseason with some needs but a significant opportunity to make a statement that they want to compete. They have failed miserably.

Replacing old, declining players with players in their prime is not a failure. McLouth is a decent player, but nothing more than that. Lough will be fine, play good defense and be underwhelming to those who can't see beyond the basic stats. He'll also be a serviceable MLB player for a few years but for a fraction of the cost of McLouth.

I understand that you and many others want shiny objects, but it's not going to happen under this front office/ownership arrangement.

Replacing old, declining players with players in their prime is not a failure. McLouth is a decent player, but nothing more than that. Lough will be fine, play good defense and be underwhelming to those who can't see beyond the basic stats. He'll also be a serviceable MLB player for a few years but for a fraction of the cost of McLouth.

I understand that you and many others want shiny objects, but it's not going to happen under this front office/ownership arrangement.

I have no issue with bringing in Lough as a 4th OF.

Its not about wanting "shiny" objects its about seeing the team commit itself to winning and bringing in credible options. Say what you will but Lough is a depth guy not a starting LF. Frankly I felt that McLouth was lacking, I have more confidence in the numbers that he (McLouth) would put up than the ones that Lough will as a starter.

• 3 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/MarkWJZ">@MarkWJZ</a> Nothing has changed. This lineup cannot score without hitting the ball out of the ballpark. Don't get my started...</p>— Peter Schmuck (@SchmuckStop) <a href="

">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Didn't wanna make a new thread but i bet he's got a article coming.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/MarkWJZ">@MarkWJZ</a> Nothing has changed. This lineup cannot score without hitting the ball out of the ballpark. Don't get my started...</p>— Peter Schmuck (@SchmuckStop) <a href="
">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Didn't wanna make a new thread but i bet he's got a article coming.

Which is why I am for some small ball when runners are on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

Which is why I am for some small ball when runners are on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

Second and third with one out leads to more scoring, on average, then first and second with no outs so if you can be reasonably sure the batter can execute a sacrifice successfully it isn't a bad move.

Of course if it is a failed sacrifice the odds of scoring plummet.

Archived