DrLev

Should the O's acquire Burnett?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's acquire Burnett?

• Yes
    • No

I said No

Too much drama!

1)Took the dude almost the whole offseason to decide he still has the desire.

2) it will happen again next offseason

3) his advanced age

If it's a one year contract, who cares if he might be wishy washy about retirement next year?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said No

Too much drama!

1)Took the dude almost the whole offseason to decide he still has the desire.

2) it will happen again next offseason

3) his advanced age

Burnett's advanced age is a legitimate concern ...... but if we sign Burnett to a 1 year-deal for the upcoming season, I don't see why we should be concerned if he'll do the same thing again next year. 2014 is our primary concern right now, and if we can get one good season from a solid starting pitcher like Burnett, it will (at the very least) give us a bridge/one-year stop gap to the future, and it will give our organization a chance for Burnett to "Steve DeBerg" Kevin Gausman and/or Dylan Bundy and/or Eduardo Rodriguez into the starting rotation for 2015 and beyond.

I don't see that as a barrier. Apparently what's been holding up Arroyo signing anywhere is his demands for three years not two. However, I'd much rather sign Burnett to a one year deal with an option than two guaranteed, but not because I'm worried about him retiring. If he retires, it costs us nothing and still gives us the roster flexibility that we would have had with a one year deal.

By then, Gausman will be ready and Bundy will be where Gausman is right now.:pray:

You know, this might be silly, but I wonder if Peter would approve the deal, since it was only 1 year, and that way, he can point to his "haters", look, I do sign pitchers over 10+ million a year.

I don't think Peter is approving anything that is within the budget that he has permitted.

Toronto would go two, they got a GM trying to save his job.

The only way he saves that job is by trading off those contracts. And by getting back the team's one,two,three,four, and five prospects. They still have the one that is 5'5"

AA and TLC are gone. They are being used to dismantle and then they will be replaced in my opinion.

Someone tell me a reason for no. The dude basically was ready to retire, he's not a 4 year sign, I dont think hes more than a 1/14 sign, and I'm good with that. Sign me up for 2/22, if he turns into a dumpster fire, cut him, this team can gamble with some money, we have more chips then are being shown.

Why throw money away? He was awful his last two years in the American League.

Archived