Orioles still pursuing Ike Davis

fearthenoodle

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Story <a href="http://t.co/30h3nieXBD">http://t.co/30h3nieXBD</a> Orioles still inquiring on Ike Davis, also has item on <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mets&src=hash">#Mets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rays&src=hash">#Rays</a> deal that once was on table</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

">February 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wondered when we'd hear about Ike again. Some folks here really like him. I have absolutely no idea what to make of him as a player.

Is he Chris Davis? Mark Reynolds? Something in between? I don't know what to make of him, either. While the idea of landing him is nice in the sense that he'd be much less "expensive" than signing a FA, he seems to carry much, much more performance risk than the FA options...even more risk than Cruz.

IIRC, he's not even guaranteed a starting role for the Mets. Can't say that the idea of getting him for the everyday DH role sits well with me.

So if you're the Mets you're obviously looking for pitching. I think the O's want to see what they have in Britton this spring before deciding what to do with him. Maybe they are making a contingency plan for later if Morales/Cruz doesn't pan out.

Britton is the first guy I thought of. With the Jiminez signing, the only way Britton makes the rotation is another starters injury. He's out of options and we have plenty of options for the pen. The question is how highly the Mets regard Britton and what else it would take on our end.

I would prefer to go with someone like Ike Davis or Justin Smoak over Morales or Cruz. I think one element that is maybe being overlooked is that if the organization does sign Morales or Cruz we are talking about a $110 m payroll this year. If the O's extend Hardy along with handing out arbitration raises for 2015, that will eat into most of the "savings" from Markakis' $15m coming off of the books for 2015 (plus they will need to get a new RF). What if the team wins 85 games in 2014 and has holes to fill? They are not going to have much wiggle room payroll wise to make any adjustments that might need to be made. For that reason, I'd rather have more financial flexibility for next season even if it means a tad more uncertainty this season.

I think Ike's floor is relatively high. He struggled last season relative to his career production, but still had an OBP of .326 (.356 vs. RHP). At the worst, you are getting a high OBP platoon DH to pair with Young, Reimold, Pearce or whoever. At best you are getting a 35+ HR guy with high OBP. I think it is worth a shot if the price is not too high.

Britton is an obvious trade candidate. The Mets could use help at a variety of positions so it is not out of the realm of possibility that later this spring, we could use some of our spare parts to get their spare part. Reimold, Pearce, Peguero, Young, De La Cruz, Escalona, Aceves, Stinson, or any number of our MIF candidates (Weeks, Casilla, De Jesus Jr., Phelps) could be packaged with Britton if the Mets do get to the point where they believe they would be better off picking up to major league ready pieces at areas of need rather than hanging onto Davis (who doesn't have a clear role on their current team).

Is he Chris Davis? Mark Reynolds? Something in between? I don't know what to make of him, either. While the idea of landing him is nice in the sense that he'd be much less "expensive" than signing a FA, he seems to carry much, much more performance risk than the FA options...even more risk than Cruz.

IIRC, he's not even guaranteed a starting role for the Mets. Can't say that the idea of getting him for the everyday DH role sits well with me.

He's a lefty Mark Reynolds without the batting eye. Horrible slumps with a streaks of amazing power.

Archived