Orioles still pursuing Ike Davis

fearthenoodle

Oh my. Everything else being equal, which player would you prefer?

.310 BA, .330 OBP

.240 BA, .340 OBP

Babypowder, it was fearthenoodle who set the parameters. I worked within the parameters he set. You went outside by claiming OPS was equal in his question. Now, using his criteria - AND ONLY his criteria, would you like to offer your answer? (knowing that no two players would ever have every formula equal).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If all counting stats were equal if your example, then yes it is very likely player A is the better player. However, that will show up in OPS and wOBA without a doubt... so I'm not even sure what the point of this exercise is to being with.

Secondly, I didn't add anything unrelated. I asked a question regarding the parameters of your example. It was not in any way clear that you meant counting stats from the beginning. You still chose to disagree with me when I asked about OPS, though I do appreciate that you are now backing down from that.

I am glad to hear your reply. I have not backed down, as you put it, from anything. But it was you, and only you, who brought in the unrelated OPS stat. That is why I claimed you were being intellectually dishonest. All the best, from one oriole fan to another oriole fan.

Babypowder, it was fearthenoodle who set the parameters. I worked within the parameters he set. You went outside by claiming OPS was equal in his question. Now, using his criteria - AND ONLY his criteria, would you like to offer your answer? (knowing that no two players would ever have every formula equal).

How can you not see that those are not parameters at all? Everything else being equal, in this realm, is the definition of ambiguous. I asked what it meant. You disagreed with me in my hypothetical. It's not difficult to comprehend.

I just said that if the parameters are counting stats then player 1 is probably a more valuable hitter. That was not clear at all.

As I said earlier, Davis is more of an unknown commodity. he could prove greatly valuable. With Smoak, the other guy mentioned with higher OBP last year than Cruz or Morales, we have a pretty good set of data that scream big-risk. i can't foresee Smoak being valuable at all, especially not more valuable than Cruz or Morales, despite the couple extra OBP points in 2013.

How can you not see that those are not parameters at all? Everything else being equal, in this realm, is the definition of ambiguous. I asked what it meant. You disagreed with me in my hypothetical. It's not difficult to comprehend.

I just said that if the parameters are counting stats then player 1 is probably a more valuable hitter. That was not clear at all.

True, it would have been clearer if he had expressly stated, "counting stats (and contract) being equal." But it was clear to me that "equal" was not intended to mean formulas like OPS, WAR, waWLL%, Rpos, Rbaser, etc. since we could never, ever, find two players with identical percentages based on formulas when we start with ratios BA and OBP being unequal.

Archived