The Chris Davis Projection Thread

Frobby

Project Chris Davis' OPS for 2014  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Project Chris Davis' OPS for 2014

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he'll continue to draw walks and hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 homers if healthy, but I downgraded him to the .900 to .949 range because I don't think his batting average will be as high this year. Maybe more in the .260 range.

I went with .850-.899, because I don't trust Orioles players to not disappoint me yet. Too much conditioning over the last two decades.

At least Davis is at the point where .850-.899 could be considered disappointing. We've had many seasons where no regular was at .850 or higher.

I'm going to bump all the projection threads I've done in the last week or so to encourage everyone to get their votes in today. Over the weekend, I'm going to look them over and post some conclusions about where the OH community seems to be with respect to the Solid Six.

In 2012 it was .922, .829 , .659, .701, .749, 1.057.

So out of his last 12 months in the majors five have been under .800, and another in the low .800s. Yet you can't imagine a season's OPS under .900?

I picked .800-.850, but I'm more confident that he'll have at least one month around .700, and another around 1.000.

And 5 over 1.000.

He'll be right around the .900 mark, give or take .050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Screw everyone, I'm picking .950+.

IMO, 2012 doesn't necessarily count when trying to predict what he'll do this year. He's a different hitter now than he was then. He's entering his age 28 season, so he's just entering his prime. The SI article really made some good points as well. He hits it to all field and he's so strong that he doesn't even have to square up on it 100% to hit it out. Let's not forget that he played more games than he did in any other season prior. I do believe he might have been a bit fatigued in the 2nd half, playing more often than usual and the newly accustomed fame that was coming his way.

He's had a full offseason to sit back and look at what he did last year and make any adjustments, of course so have the pitchers. But I do believe Davis has become a smart hitter, he's really honed his craft and studied. I think it's easy to look at him and all the strikeouts and figure otherwise, but here's a guy who's worked really hard and made himself better over time and I don't think he'll rest on his laurels.

I do think he'll have a monster first two months...2012 and 2013 he started hot and he's doing well this spring. Jones always seems to start hot, too so hopefully we can get off to a good start for 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

"Absolutely. We had that ability last year, but just ran out of gas toward the end," Davis said. "I think we led all of baseball in innings played by our starters. That showed down the stretch. The Tampa Bay series was the backbreaker. You could see our team be deflated. But we had the ability to win last year and we are definitely a better club now than we were at this time last year."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/03/more-predictions-some-odds-and-a-few-chris-davis-quotes.html

Archived