Per Connolly: O's intensifying interest in Morales (Roch says he's hearing no)

VeveJones007

All it takes is one pitcher to think "I don't need to challenge Davis on this 3-0 pitch since I'm not worried about the guy behind him" to make protection a real thing.

That's true and the studies shows this effect to some degree. There is just no change in the overall end result/value of the protected or unprotected batter.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will there be slow-motion ballistic video of Chris Davis' swing WITH and WITHOUT lineup protection, side-by-side?

Actually.. Davis won't be hitting.. one of these guys will get pitched to with Davis on deck, and the other won't. They'll explore a variety of "base-runner(s)" and "out(s)" combinations. We're almost to page 21.. stay tuned.

That's true and the studies shows this effect to some degree. There is just no change in the overall end result/value of the protected or unprotected batter.

See? This is what I'm saying. For certain times in your lineup, protection is a real thing. Even if the rest of your lineup doesn't balance out and is net zero. If you have the lineup tho it works out.

Archived