Does Trout Deal Set The Market for Machado? (Update: 6/$144.5M)

TonySoprano

Why should a young guy who just got engaged and is recovering from a season ending injury worry about long term financial security? It isn't like his knee cap has hyper-extended twice in the last three seasons or anything.

Now is the time to act on Machado, the team should be able to secure a very reasonable contract.

10/100?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This contract would be ridiculously stupid by Trout. I've seen predictions of 8years for $300M if he were to hit the market today. Signing for that little would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE savings for the Angels.

Actually it would be an incredibly great deal for Trout. He would get paid 25 million for 6 years. If he has career ending injury this season he doesn't get jack. He is under team control for the next 4 years. Actually this is a terrible deal for the Angels but as they are so good at making horrible deals it would not suprise me if it is made.

Why should a young guy who just got engaged and is recovering from a season ending injury worry about long term financial security? It isn't like his knee cap has hyper-extended twice in the last three seasons or anything.

Now is the time to act on Machado, the team should be able to secure a very reasonable contract.

“Oh, no. I thought I was done,” the best 21-year-old third baseman in baseball admitted Thursday. “My first thought was, ‘There goes my career. There goes my knee. It’s going to be tough to come back from this.’”

I'd think that a guy who recently had those thoughts might flinch.

“Oh, no. I thought I was done,” the best 21-year-old third baseman in baseball admitted Thursday. “My first thought was, ‘There goes my career. There goes my knee. It’s going to be tough to come back from this.’”

I'd think that a guy who recently had those thoughts might flinch.

And on top of it he had basically the same thing happen in the minors, running the bases. You can't really avoid running the bases.

Actually it would be an incredibly great deal for Trout. He would get paid 25 million for 6 years. If he has career ending injury this season he doesn't get jack. He is under team control for the next 4 years. Actually this is a terrible deal for the Angels but as they are so good at making horrible deals it would not suprise me if it is made.

I would love to hear how this is a terrible deal for the Angels. He's the best player in baseball and you're likely getting the best years he has to offer. Now is it a discount that we have gotten used to for pre-arb players? No. But, deals like this could become normal. See Freddie Freeman, you're basically paying a premium on future production and locking up a player during his most valuable years. He only has to put up around 25 WAR (4 a season) for the next six years and the contract is fair, that's not accounting for inflation and the fact that he has totaled 20.4 in his first two years. While 10 WAR a year may not be sustainable (it shouldn't be, but Mike Trout is really good at baseball...), even if Mike Trout is half-the player he is today the contract--as being reported--will provide surplus value..

I would love to hear how this is a terrible deal for the Angels. He's the best player in baseball and you're likely getting the best years he has to offer. Now is it a discount that we have gotten used to for pre-arb players? No. But, deals like this could become normal. See Freddie Freeman, you're basically paying a premium on future production and locking up a player during his most valuable years. He only has to put up around 25 WAR (4 a season) for the next six years and the contract is fair, that's not accounting for inflation and the fact that he has totaled 20.4 in his first two years. While 10 WAR a year may not be sustainable (it shouldn't be, but Mike Trout is really good at baseball...), even if Mike Trout is half-the player he is today the contract--as being reported--will provide surplus value..

I believe he would not make 40 million in ARB even if he continues to play well. So you are paying 50? And then 50 a year? Ridiculous. Sorry for two years, that is an 60 million dollar over pay. At least.

If he is worth that much, play him for three years and pay him 16 million. Total and then sell him to the Yankees for 70 Million for his final pre FA year.

If so, how much? Yes, I know we're waiting to see how Manny recovers, but so far indications are he should be ready for Opening Day.

Trout is Pre-Arb3 and Manny is Pre-Arb2. There are rumors of 6 - $150M for Trout.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Angels&src=hash">#Angels</a>? desire is to sign Trout to 7-year contract in $150M-$160M range. Sides discussing 6-year, $150M deal, per <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan">@JeffPassan</a>.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow that is crazy money in my mind.

This contract would be ridiculously stupid by Trout. I've seen predictions of 8years for $300M if he were to hit the market today. Signing for that little would be a HUGE HUGE HUGE savings for the Angels.

They were debating earlier in the year if Trout could be the first $400 million player.

"Twelve years, $400 million," one agent suggested shortly after the winter meetings.

Olney subsequently spoke to a talent evaluator who scoffed at the notion at first. And then...

"But then you think about it," he said. "Robinson Cano is a decade older than Trout and he just got $240 million. Trout is 22 years old and he's a better player than Cano right now."

Trout is so good right now that he's worth more than the $33.3 million per year he would make in a 12-year, $400 million contract. Heck, he's even worth more than the $40 million per year he would make in a $400 million deal over just 10 years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1899550-does-mike-trout-have-a-legit-shot-at-400-million-mega-contract

I believe he would not make 40 million in ARB even if he continues to play well. So you are paying 50? And then 50 a year? Ridiculous. Sorry for two years, that is an 60 million dollar over pay. At least.

I think it sounds crazy...but its not as bad as some might think. Maybe you add another year a bump it up to 7/175, but Trout is THAT good, that he COULD still provide surplus value at 6/150.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-what-does-a-mike-trout-extension-look-like-now/

Archived