And so it begins - Ubaldo

wildcard

I am going to up my projection for Ubaldo. 29-0, 0.00 ERA, with 300 K in 200 IPs is realistic based on his showing today. He is going to provide a big boost to our staff.

Is that a handful of no decisions, or do we shut him down early to rest him for the playoffs? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see Jiminez did well today but I saw several comments about his velocity. Wasn't it determined that he maxes out around 92 at this point in his career so sitting at 90-91 would be expected? Or should he said 92-93?

Only one start but glad to hear he was filthy!

Watched the game, but was wondering what happened to Ubaldo's Velocity? I could have sworn i saw him hit 100 in Colorado, and at least 95 in Cleveland. He looked good, but i am still slightly disappointed to see his fastball sit from 87-91 in his short appearance today.

Ubaldo looked M-A-R-V-E-L-O-U-S.

"I feel good, but I know I'm not 100 percent like most of the pitchers are right now. They're probably a week ahead of me, but I feel fine. I'm getting there. I've been doing some routines that they want me to do in order to get ready for the season, and that's what I'm doing."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bal/ubaldo-jimenez-cools-nerves-to-deliver-impressing-first-start-for-phillies?ymd=20140307&content_id=68904134&vkey=news_bal

Watched the game, but was wondering what happened to Ubaldo's Velocity? I could have sworn i saw him hit 100 in Colorado, and at least 95 in Cleveland. He looked good, but i am still slightly disappointed to see his fastball sit from 87-91 in his short appearance today.

Jimenez' average fastball was 95-96 through 2010 before dropping to 93.5 in 2011, 92.5 in 2012, and 91.7 in 2013. It's one of the potential red flags that was discussed about him this off-season.

He won't ever be a power fastball guy again, but his splitter and slider seem to be a bit more effective than they were in the past. He sat 89 and touched 91 today. I'd expect that to bump up 2-3 MPH once the season gets going.

Jimenez' average fastball was 95-96 through 2010 before dropping to 93.5 in 2011, 92.5 in 2012, and 91.7 in 2013. It's one of the potential red flags that was discussed about him this off-season.

He won't ever be a power fastball guy again, but his splitter and slider seem to be a bit more effective than they were in the past. He sat 89 and touched 91 today. I'd expect that to bump up 2-3 MPH once the season gets going.

As we were talking about on the game thread today, the thing about his FB was the movement. What looked like his 2-seamer was ridiculous. It looked like a 90-mph screwball at times. Reminded me a little bit of Pedro Martinez's fastball in terms of movement. Very nice to see. If he can command that, even at 90-91, it will not be fun for opposing hitters.

6 up, 6 down, with 3 Ks. FIRST ST appearance against any competition. And all you can b**** about is "only 91"? No wonder you have a red pip. :P

in his short appearance today.

Don't really hate to keep picking on you but... SHORT appearance??? He cleared 2 innings against most of the best the Phillies had to offer! With only 25 pitches! HowTF can you complain about that????? What a maroon.

Archived