Jimenez.....Yikes!

olehippi

I understand a slight level of concern since Ubaldo has been all over the spectrum of effectiveness so far in his career, but I still hoped this thread wouldn't be here because it was only his second spring training start (after a solid one). I hoped, but I knew.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You aren't the only one in this thread or on the board who spelled the name wrong. Wasn't personal.

I blame it partially on the fact that far too many broadcasters pronounce it "HIM-in-ez" rather than "he-MEN-ez."

I didn't take it as personal....in fact, I intended to put the ;) icon behind the statement. As for that spelling, if you remember back when we first signed Jimenez, much of a thread dealt with how it was spelled....Jiminez...Jimenez....Jeminez....and the spelling varied elsewhere in print and online. I'll just blame it on Jimi Hendrix. :D

Hunter is no closer.

Jimenez can't pitch.

And Nick Markakis is going to be the first .500 hitter ever.

Exactly. The good performances are very meaningful, and the bad ones are meaningless.

If Jimenez sucks the next two times out, I might get a little nervous, but so long as he's healthy I won't get too worried about spring results.

My OP about Jimenez (happy RVAbird?) was not over-reactive or panicked. It was made because Ubaldo has a rather extensive history that includes long stretches of ineffectiveness and excessive wildness.....the bad Ubaldo I noted. Anyone who has looked at his history should know this and that is what he displayed today, walking 3, and being rocked for 4 hits, including 3 triples, in just 2 innings. Yes, its only ST, and yes, it can and does happen to every “veteran” pitcher at times. But....as stated, our veteran pitcher has a history that those others – like Garza – don't have. Just saying......

Last year, Garza had about 9 bad outings and Jimenez had about 8 bad outings. To make it simple, I defined a bad outing as giving up 5 or more runs, giving up 4 runs in 6 or less innings, or giving up 3 runs in 5 or less inning. The difference is that Jimenez pitched in 32 games and Garza pitched in only 24 games. Just saying.....

You aren't the only one in this thread or on the board who spelled the name wrong. Wasn't personal.

I blame it partially on the fact that far too many broadcasters pronounce it "HIM-in-ez" rather than "he-MEN-ez."

Joe Angel won't make that mistake, but I wouldn't count on Gary Thorne getting it right.

It's just ST. It was his first time in the stretch this spring (in a live game). Bad outings happen. Garza was crushed yesterday. Hiroki Kuroda was crushed yesterday.

Wei-Yin Chen had an 8.22 ERA last spring. It happens.

Exactly, and I been Kershaw has been crushed twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived