Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that was a highway robbery by Dan Duquette. And, another reminder that spring training numbers don't mean much.

Yeah, It sounded like he had something left after talking with some scouts down there this spring. Guess he just had a good spring. I'll certainly give credit for Duquette for this one. Good trade.

Well, that was a highway robbery by Dan Duquette. And, another reminder that spring training numbers don't mean much.

In my view, Duquette and his people have had excellent judgement in terms of deciding which players to keep or not to keep since he arrived here prior to the 2012 season.

In addition to seeing something in players that either had little or no major league track record in the first place (Miguel Gonzalez), or players presumed to no longer have what they once had (Nate McLouth, and to a lesser extent Lew Ford), he also seems to be able to avoid being seduced by a player getting hot at either the AAA level and/or spring training, and to know whether or not that was a mirage or a sign(s) of the real deal.

I've mentioned before about what happened with Jamie Moyer. In 2012, Jamie Moyer was pitching outstanding at AAA-Norfolk. In 3 outings, he threw 16 innings, gave up 1 earned run, walked 0, struck out 16, and had a W.H.I.P. of 0.688. Duquette released him (much to my puzzlement.) The Blue Jays picked Moyer up, he was bombed in two outings for their AAA affiliate, the Blue Jays released him, and I was no longer puzzled about why Duquette released him.

And now we have Lombardozzi on the squad, who was acquired for a player (Alex Gonzalez) who had been red-hot in spring training, and who has now been released by the team that we had traded him to.

Archived