2014 Ubaldo Jimenez Today

Il BuonO

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great quote by Buck too from the postgame presser:

"Ubaldo (Jimenez), we were going to pitch him about 80 pitches, tops. I went down there with all intentions of taking him out of the game, and I made the mistake of looking in his eyes. He wasn't pleading, it was like, 'Let me take a shot at one more inning. I feel OK.' And that's one of those times I thought with my heart and not my head. I was real happy for him. And his mom and dad were here. That was big. That was big for him. I thought that was bigger for him than for us. Who knows what it may mean down the road in the next 3 1/2 years."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said maybe when asked if Jimenez will get another start.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said maybe when asked if Jimenez will get another start.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Once they clinch second best record in the AL sure.

o

UBALDO JIMENEZ O (vs. YANKEES, 9/23)

IP:. 5 - PLUS

H:o 3 (2 Doubles, 1 Single)

R:O 2

BB: 3 *

SO: 3

Pitches: 91 (53 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.85

* Jimenez also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

22 (13 Strikes, 91 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls)

23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 71 Balls)

61 (21 Strikes, 41 Balls) **

** Jimenez did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Great quote by Buck too from the postgame presser:

"Ubaldo (Jimenez), we were going to pitch him about 80 pitches, tops. I went down there with all intentions of taking him out of the game, and I made the mistake of looking in his eyes. He wasn't pleading, it was like, 'Let me take a shot at one more inning. I feel OK.' And that's one of those times I thought with my heart and not my head. I was real happy for him. And his mom and dad were here. That was big. That was big for him. I thought that was bigger for him than for us. Who knows what it may mean down the road in the next 3 1/2 years."

Let me try this again. Once more, the forum logged me out without my posting. Fortunately, I've saved my post in my computer's clipboard. It's still ratherconvoluted. :P

I had a long, rather convoluted reply ready to post. But somehow, my post got lost in cyberspace and I cannot recover it. So I'll try it again, from memory. Hopefully, it will be shorter and less convoluted. :D

I don't believe that Ubaldo will be on the postseason roster. He has done better recently, but he is still a work in process. When he came to the Orioles, he had a funky, awkward windup, poor mechanics, bad habits. And he had less velocity. Which is why he walked so many and lost so many games and wound up with an ERA almost at 5.00.

The best thing that happened to him was his demotion into the bullpen. That's when he could see how bad things were for him and he could finally know that he had a lot of work to do to get rid of the bad habits and mechanics. Especially when he had that one miserable relief outing where he gave up walks and hits and Buck yanked him out after he walked in a run. Between Ubaldo and Tommy Hunter, Zach Britton had to come in and save the game, where earlier, the O's were far ahead.

However, during his time when Ubaldo was assigned to the bullpen, he didn't just sit around, waiting for mop-up duty. He worked post-game with Wallace and Chiti to try and get himself straightened out. When ever someone works to rid himself of bad habits, they frequently return; one has to concentrate to make sure that the good habits remain.

Eventually, he got his spot start; as it turned out it was the night that the O's clinched the division. I was there at OPACY and I remember: when the game started, he was beginning to revert to bad habits. The home fans were booing him as he gave up doubles and walks. However, he was able to right himself, ignoring the boos. He threw strikes, or else the doubles turned into fly outs and ground outs. The boos turned into wild cheers. I remember that the "K" machine in the ballpark was recording his strikeouts and then it broke down (it still hasn't been fixed). He was on a limited pitch count and was taken out after the 5th inning, but enough to get the win.

Ubaldo was better in his recent start against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium and got another win. But I could see a few of his bad habits returning, too many walks, a hit batsman. What happens if he were to come in a game during the playoffs, either as a starter or in relief, and has a pitching meltdown, reverting to his bad habits? Especially at OPACY, where the boos would rain down again? Not good for his confidence.

Perhaps Ubaldo should play a bit of winter ball to strengthen his good habits and get rid of the bad. He may be overpaid, but I believe that, though he probably won't be Clayton Kershaw or even Chris Tillman, he could be a serviceable pitcher next year for our team. He does have a good attitude about it all and that is important.

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/28)

1 inning out of the bullpen.

With the Orioles clinging to a 1-0 lead, Jiminez entered the game.

The Blue Jays got the lead-off batter on, via an error.

Then, Jimenez struck out 3 consecutive batters to end the inning.

16 pitches.

13 strikes.

3 balls.

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/28)

1 inning out of the bullpen.

With the Orioles clinging to a 1-0 lead, Jiminez entered the game.

The Blue Jays got the lead-off batter on, via an error.

Then, Jimenez struck out 3 consecutive batters to end the inning.

16 pitches.

13 strikes.

3 balls.

The equivalent of 4 outs with 16 pitches. That's what I like about Ubaldo; he's so pitch efficient.

He really could be a monster for us next season.

I have high hopes for Ubaldo next season. You simply can't teach the kind of nasty stuff he has, he just needs to harness it.

Good way to end the year for him.

Yep… Obviously the key for him is throwing strikes. He hardly ever gets hit hard; he just needs to quit getting himself in trouble with walks and he will be fine. He was dominant today.

Archived