Who Gets Next Save Opportunity?

Rene88

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget what the fans think about Buck letting Hunter come in to blow leads or lose. Forget about AJ swinging at balls most hitters wouldn't swing at in batting practice games. The other teams we are playing are laughing at us. Did you see them laughing? Buck wake up. They are laughing at you. TH is probably tipping his pitches and his continuing to shake off pitches is where it starts. Who is calling the pitches from the dugout? My guess is Wallace. If he is and our closer continues to fail when they hit his hanging curveballs he wants to throw how can you let him continue? Hunter has a signed contract to perform for the Orioles. If they tell him to throw heat inside he needs to throw heat inside or outside or whatever they tell him to do. End of comment. How does he have the nerve to tell them he doesn't want to throw the pitch they are calling. Come on! Isn't this called insubordination? Why doesn't somebody interview Wallace after one of these games. Skip Buck. It's the same old same old. Protect his players over and over. I wonder what would happen if the writers said they would prefer to have Wallace sit down with them after the game?

Forget what the fans think about Buck letting Hunter come in to blow leads or lose. Forget about AJ swinging at balls most hitters wouldn't swing at in batting practice games. The other teams we are playing are laughing at us. Did you see them laughing? Buck wake up. They are laughing at you. TH is probably tipping his pitches and his continuing to shake off pitches is where it starts. Who is calling the pitches from the dugout? My guess is Wallace. If he is and our closer continues to fail when they hit his hanging curveballs he wants to throw how can you let him continue? Hunter has a signed contract to perform for the Orioles. If they tell him to throw heat inside he needs to throw heat inside or outside or whatever they tell him to do. End of comment. How does he have the nerve to tell them he doesn't want to throw the pitch they are calling. Come on! Isn't this called insubordination? Why doesn't somebody interview Wallace after one of these games. Skip Buck. It's the same old same old. Protect his players over and over. I wonder what would happen if the writers said they would prefer to have Wallace sit down with them after the game?

I think that you make a good point about Hunter possibly tipping his pitches.

It was party time in the Tigers dugout in the ninth.

To the bolded, I think insubordination is a very strong term. I'm sure that every pitcher on the staff ( including Hunter) has the right to shake off pitches.

I doubt that Wallace would throw anyone of his pitchers under the bus if he was interviewed. IMO, there is nothing to gain by having a manager or coach publicly bash a player for his performance. Wallace works with Hunter every day. It's his job to ask Hunter why he shook off the pitch and to figure out if Hunter is indeed tipping off his pitches.

FWIW I think the fact that they were interested in Balfour and Axford in the offseason and didn't name Hunter closer until the last moment speaks to the fact they weren't 100% sold on him as closer.

I only just realised that Balfour was close to signing with the O's during the off-season but it fell through due to interpretation of medical results.

Big loss that. I think Balfour is exactly the kind of consistent, aggressive closer we need

Our definition of awful is very different.

That being said it will be Hunter. I wouldn't have any other manager other than Buck but his loyalty thing would be an amendment in his style that our win-loss record could benefit from.

What are you griping about? 20-17 and in first place? Sorry but 14 years of sorry baseball, allows me to appreciate the team is in first.

Yes losing sucks, but let's keep things in perspective.

This isn't the Cubs at 13-25 that we are talking about.

Guilmet, the only pitcher with extensive closing experience (94 games in the minors), just got sent back to Norfolk to make room for Gausman. Gausman better pitch a 9 inning shutout tomorrow and throw less than 80 pitches or we are doomed.

But here's my take on Hunter. He is not suited for a closer. Not everyone can make that adjustment. He was, however, an excellent set-up man. Put him back in a position where he can do well and help the team.

Hunter has pitched in 17 games, with 11 saves. But he has 4 blown saves, including a game where he got the win after the Orioles came back in the 10th. In 15 innings he has allowed 24 base runners. I would made a wager that there are six other relievers in the BP who, had they been brought in to close, would have delivered 1-2-3 innings in at least half those games......and maybe not blown the saves.

Exactly...its no different than a batters. Not everyone can lead off or bat cleanup...some guys do better in the 3 hole or 8th or whatever. TH has no track record as a closer so moving him out of that role shouldnt be that big a deal.

It may depend on how soon it is, and what kind of opportunity. Let's say it's three or four days from now, and a three-run lead. Buck might go to Hunter there to try to rebuild his confidence. A one-run lead tonight? O'Day or Britton. Buck can't afford to use Hunter tonight, especially in a truly close game.

It may depend on how soon it is, and what kind of opportunity. Let's say it's three or four days from now, and a three-run lead. Buck might go to Hunter there to try to rebuild his confidence. A one-run lead tonight? O'Day or Britton. Buck can't afford to use Hunter tonight, especially in a truly close game.

I agree with you and not trying to pick on you, it is early. :)

But, it's a day game, and 12:35 first pitch. :)

Didn't want you to miss the game and Gasman pitching :)

I don't think tommy is tipping his pitches. He basically has one pitch -- a fastball, which is straight and not as fast as last year. Hitter can sit on it because they know that with his limited repertoire, they'll eventually get a juicy fastball to take a hack at. He doesn't need to tip it for them to be ready.

Archived