High time for Schoop to go down?

LookitsPuck

I am going by the end of spring training, not the beginning. If you want to look at if from the view of the offseason then I think it was an open competition between Flaherty and Weeks.

I don't think Weeks defense ever gave him a serious chance. If you're argument now boils down to Flaherty vs. Weeks at the end of ST then I'll default to my original position that the Orioles had every confidence in Flaherty to be the primary

starting second baseman throughout the entire process.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Weeks defense ever gave him a serious chance. If you're argument now boils down to Flaherty vs. Weeks at the end of ST then I'll default to my original position that the Orioles had every confidence in Flaherty to be the primary

starting second baseman throughout the entire process.

No.

My personal feelings are that the plan was for Weeks and Flaherty to battle it out in ST and then Schoop came in an impressed to the point where I am unsure who would have started the season at second if Manny had been healthy.

No.

My personal feelings are that the plan was for Weeks and Flaherty to battle it out in ST and then Schoop came in an impressed to the point where I am unsure who would have started the season at second if Manny had been healthy.

Don't buy it. Other than a platoon partner, Weeks wasn't viable. He isn't even viable now.

Schoop's spring and MM down should have made Schoop a lock. All the factors were in his favor.

We disagree.

Is Lombardozzi that much better on defense than Weeks?

I also don't think Schoop makes the team if Manny was ready.

No, Lombardozzi is not better than Weeks. Lombardozzi can play more positions than Weeks.

Just saw the highlights from today's game. Probably getting my hopes up but for the first time all year, Schoop waited on a breaking pitch and got full extension for his second homer. This was no hanger. This one was on the outside part of the plate and dropped. Instead of chasing hit, it was like Schoop new it was coming and actually stayed back on the ball. Also, I've noticed all year that he kind of cuts his swing off in general which really hurts him on outside pitches. On this one, he got full extension and was all over it. I hope he found something out.

On the TV broadcast, Hunter and Bordick suggested that Nelson Cruz may be counseling Schoop. It sure looked like it today.

Schoop is probably as good overall as Flaherty or Lombardozzi would be if they were playing 2B regularly for the O's. I feel he could have used a half-season of AAA, but the O's seem pretty committed to Schoop and he manages to do just enough to justify it. Down the road, he's going to be an above average starting 2B.

Archived