We Are Who We Are - a .500 team

brianod

Bad loss tonight but the bats are getting going. I feel pretty good. Just hope Tillman is OK. We haven't played in concert all year and at some point we will.

I envy you your faith, but that's all it is. Faith without evidence.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I envy you your faith, but that's all it is. Faith without evidence.

Why do you feel so strong the other way? Our bats are better than they have shown, do you think the pitching will do downhill? We have some star players on offense who haven't gotten hot yet. We need Tillman to be more consistent, rest of rotation has been better.

Why do you feel so strong the other way? Our bats are better than they have shown, do you think the pitching will do downhill? We have some star players on offense who haven't gotten hot yet. We need Tillman to be more consistent, rest of rotation has been better.

Because, after a year of .500 ball, there is no evidence of this team doing anything else. We have had our share of injuries and it was logical to think that after everyone got back we would be better. But, it isn't turning out that way is it? When one piece gets fixed, another one breaks. It gives me no joy to be the Debbie Downer of the group, I'm simply reporting the truth as I see it. Special teams get unusual performances from bench players or rookies. Len Sakata catches and we win. Nothing like that has happened in the last year and 2 months. Our bench players play like they belong on the bench. Our stars are hit and miss. Our starters are inconsistent. We are looking at what we are.

Because, after a year of .500 ball, there is no evidence of this team doing anything else. We have had our share of injuries and it was logical to think that after everyone got back we would be better. But, it isn't turning out that way is it? When one piece gets fixed, another one breaks. It gives me no joy to be the Debbie Downer of the group, I'm simply reporting the truth as I see it. Special teams get unusual performances from bench players or rookies. Len Sakata catches and we win. Nothing like that has happened in the last year and 2 months. Our bench players play like they belong on the bench. Our stars are hit and miss. Our starters are inconsistent. We are looking at what we are.

Steve Pearce would disagree. We shall see what happens. Only played 44 games.

No they don't, not all the time. "Special teams" lose games like that too. Last year the Red Sox were 21-21 in one run games. In 2012 the Giants were 30-20 in one-run games. The Orioles are 10-4 so far in one-run games. Odds are they are gonna lose another 15 games this season the could end up being as close as that game was.

That is my point, you really don't want to ascribe too much meaning to one or two games this early on. Yes losses are losses, but after it is all said and done the Orioles (and all teams) are going to have a couple dozen games like that where they end up losing. You are going to get your tough losses, all teams get them. Good teams, special teams, don't ascribe to them any more worth than they deserve.

But certain "fans" will fasten onto them like a leech onto a hemophiliac.

No they don't, not all the time. "Special teams" lose games like that too. Last year the Red Sox were 21-21 in one run games. In 2012 the Giants were 30-20 in one-run games. The Orioles are 10-4 so far in one-run games. Odds are they are gonna lose another 15 games this season the could end up being as close as that game was.

That is my point, you really don't want to ascribe too much meaning to one or two games this early on. Yes losses are losses, but after it is all said and done the Orioles (and all teams) are going to have a couple dozen games like that where they end up losing. You are going to get your tough losses, all teams get them. Good teams, special teams, don't ascribe to them any more worth than they deserve.

Thank you. This whole "____ teams don't/do ____ thing" myth is idiotic and patently false.

Thank you. This whole "____ teams don't/do ____ thing" myth is idiotic and patently false.

Also, replace "teams" with "players" and it's equally valid. "Good players never have games like this, so obviously this Oriole needs to go, NOW!" Despite most HOFers having many season's worth of crappy games on their resumes.

Nothing would make me happier then to be wrong. It might not seem like it, but I live and die with this team

Get some other hobbies dude. Seriously, diversify. Because all your hoping and praying will do nothing. Enjoy it when they win - feel sad when they lose. But don't go tying too much else to this.

And in no major sport is it more true than baseball. The season is so long, there are so many games. Maybe you can make statements like that in September - maybe. But not May.

Even then, "special teams" still lose games - I mean you just lose them. It happens.

This is just flat out untrue. Lough won a game almost by himself with his defense and base running awhile back. Our starting catcher is out and a career AAAA player and a rookie have guided the pitching staff to the best two week stretch of the year.

You don't see anything because you aren't looking.

At least the Yankees and Red Sox lost. Toronto might be the one who runs away with the division, not the O's. I was afraid of this, that their bad year last year could turn around. We don't have the pitching. Ubaldo is a bust and he is sitting there laughing in the dugout all the time. What is so funny, all the money?

Archived