We Are Who We Are - a .500 team

brianod

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many divison or pennant-winning teams have had many worse stretches than 3-7. It's baseball, not football or the downhill slalom.

Very true, but they are 88-86 in their last 174 games, which certainly supports the original premise.

Very true' date=' but they are 88-86 in their last 174 games, which certainly supports the original premise.[/quote']

True as well but the team in first right now, Toronto hasn't had a winning record since 2010 and 12 days ago were 18-20. We aren't playing well but things can change in a hurry.

True as well but the team in first right now, Toronto hasn't had a winning record since 2010 and 12 days ago were 18-20. We aren't playing well but things can change in a hurry.

Yep. They were 13-17, 18-20, and 20-21. They did something the O's don't...take advantage of weak teams. But pretty much everything has gone right for them and they're still only 1.5 up on the O's who are playing awful. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them under .500 by the end of next week.

Yep. They were 13-17, 18-20, and 20-21. They did something the O's don't...take advantage of weak teams. But pretty much everything has gone right for them and they're still only 1.5 up on the O's who are playing awful. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them under .500 by the end of next week.

Didn't like exactly the same thing happen last year in Toronto? Didn't they go on an insane run, sweep the Orioles and everyone said They were back. Then the wheels came off because they are not a good team with massive pitching issues?

Yeah, that happened.

Will it happen again, who knows? But once again - stop freaking out over every rough patch. The Orioles have lost winnable games recently - so be it - it sucks - win tonight.

That being said, I do believe tonight's win would go a long way toward breaking out of the currrent funk. A nice, solid, no-doubter win. Not a blow out, but a run-of-the-mill, hum-drum 4-2 win would be just right.

Didn't like exactly the same thing happen last year in Toronto? Didn't they go on an insane run, sweep the Orioles and everyone said They were back. Then the wheels came off because they are not a good team with massive pitching issues?

Yeah, that happened.

Will it happen again, who knows? But once again - stop freaking out over every rough patch. The Orioles have lost winnable games recently - so be it - it sucks - win tonight.

That being said, I do believe tonight's win would go a long way toward breaking out of the currrent funk. A nice, solid, no-doubter win. Not a blow out, but a run-of-the-mill, hum-drum 4-2 win would be just right.

Yep. I believe the O's were 42-30, coming off a series win in Detroit and got swept by the Jays. I guess it was sort of the start of the downfall for the O's last year. Two thirds of Toronto's lineup is hitting way over their heads, and their two best pitchers are vastly over performing. Once this little hot stretch ends they will be under .500 in no time, right where they belong.

Their starting rotation has been abysmal until the last two weeks and their bullpen has been awful. They would be 10 games over .500 in this division easily if they had consistent pitching.

Very true' date=' but they are 88-86 in their last 174 games, which certainly supports the original premise.[/quote']

I've spent the last 174 games assuming we were better then we were and things would turn around. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I was rooting with my heart and ignoring what I was seeing. So, no more doom and gloom from me. I'm assuming we'll finish around .500 but will root for this team hard and won't complain too much going forward...

Here's a different way to look at the start of the season:

Just pretend this is the middle of the season instead of the beginning. The Orioles went 24-22 in a 46 game stretch, losing 1.5 games in the standings to Toronto but gaining on all the other teams in the division. Machado missed 25 games and hit extremely poorly. Davis missed 10 games. Wieters missed 20 games. Hardy missed 10 games and did not hit a single home run. Jones was mediocre. Our top 4 starters all had higher ERA's than their 2013 ERA. Hunter struggled and was removed as closer, then went on the DL. Went 10-11 at OPACY.

I think this team is in a good spot right now. They've had to deal with a lot of injuries, slow starts, and ineffectiveness from their most important players yet are in 2nd, 1.5 GB of the frickin Jays, and can be so much better.

Here's a different way to look at the start of the season:

Just pretend this is the middle of the season instead of the beginning. The Orioles went 24-22 in a 46 game stretch, losing 1.5 games in the standings to Toronto but gaining on all the other teams in the division. Machado missed 25 games and hit extremely poorly. Davis missed 10 games. Wieters missed 20 games. Hardy missed 10 games and did not hit a single home run. Jones was mediocre. Our top 4 starters all had higher ERA's than their 2013 ERA. Hunter struggled and was removed as closer, then went on the DL. Went 10-11 at OPACY.

I think this team is in a good spot right now. They've had to deal with a lot of injuries, slow starts, and ineffectiveness from their most important players yet are in 2nd, 1.5 GB of the frickin Jays, and can be so much better.

Norris's ERA is lower than last year.

This series is more proof. As things get fixed, others break. DD needs to blow it up or add talent. Either is fine with me. Clinging to the base with the possibility of losing our core other then Jones is unacceptable.

Archived