MLBTRADERUMORS: Nick Markakis Stock Watch

weams

What does 7 million buy you today in MLB?

From an average free agent that buys you a little over one win over replacement. In other words, a full-time player who's is a bit below average. Or a platoon player who might have a .725 OPS in 300 PAs. If AlbionHero truly believes that Nick isn't "worth anywhere close to 7 million a year" on the free agent market then he thinks he's a part-time role player at best. Or someone you'd be comfortable replacing with a random journeyman just to save on the money.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If AlbionHero truly believes that Nick isn't "worth anywhere close to 7 million a year" on the free agent market then he thinks he's a part-time role player at best. Or someone you'd be comfortable replacing with a random journeyman just to save on the money.

Pretty much. Just one example, Steve Pearce. If we gave him 600 at bats, do you not think he would be able to outdo the .700 or so OPS Markakis has had last couple years while also not giving up 15 runs on defense a year? And he's just one example, theres plenty of guys out there like that who could be paid a fraction while giving just as good or better production.

Player A) age 31, career ave., .269 .348 .464 .812 114 OPS+ 16 HR, 61 RBI, Rtot/yr 2 LF, current salary: 4.5 M

Player B) age 30, career ave., .292 .360 .439 .798 113 OPS+ 17 HR, 80 RBI, Rtot/yr 1 RF, current salary 15M

I know which player I'd rather have next couple of years.

Pretty much. Just one example, Steve Pearce. If we gave him 600 at bats, do you not think he would be able to outdo the .700 or so OPS Markakis has had last couple years while also not giving up 15 runs on defense a year? And he's just one example, theres plenty of guys out there like that who could be paid a fraction while giving just as good or better production.

I think there are a lot of role players like Pearce whose production would decline if they played seven days a week, nine innings a game.

Archived