MLBTRADERUMORS: Nick Markakis Stock Watch

weams

If it's only for this much then we sign him. And I don't mean only because I like it, but it's cheap enough that the loyalty factor comes into play. Not sure that Nick accepts it.

"Markakis has upped his walk rate to 8.8 percent and is striking out a career-low 9.4 percent of his trips to the dish."

Also attractive for us since we are sorely lacking in the OBP dept.

Is Nick going to be willing to take a 33% pay cut to remain in Baltimore for 3-4 more years? (for my part, I wouldn't want to pay him that much, anyway. IMO, he's become a poor defender by virtue of being extremely slow, and his bat isn't good enough to justify a $10 million+ salary)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once his fielding drops below acceptable (where it seems to be teetering now), what value does he have? Some, I admit, but he's a station-to-station guy with warning track power who is above average in getting on base (34th out of 88 qualifiers as of now). He's gonna have to bang out a lot of singles and draw a hell of a lot of walks to make up for his apparently declining skills.

Is Nick going to be willing to take a 33% pay cut to remain in Baltimore for 3-4 more years? (for my part, I wouldn't want to pay him that much, anyway. IMO, he's become a poor defender by virtue of being extremely slow, and his bat isn't good enough to justify a $10 million+ salary)

Will he have a choice is the question. That is, will there be a market? Well, I don't rate his speed nearly as bad as you do, but it clearly isn't what it used to be. He was motivated coming into camp this year and I think he looks better than the last couple and he is sure handed out there, but his future may not be in the OF.

If he doesn't justify a 33% pay cut for three years after producing .750 OPS are you willing to re sign Cruz to man RF? He most likelyli costs more andi don't like his D any better. What is the solution if he's gone? Would you make him another offer?

Will he have a choice is the question. That is, will there be a market? Well, I don't rate his speed nearly as bad as you do, but it clearly isn't what it used to be. He was motivated coming into camp this year and I think he looks better than the last couple and he is sure handed out there, but his future may not be in the OF.

If he doesn't justify a 33% pay cut for three years after producing .750 OPS are you willing to re sign Cruz to man RF? He most likelyli costs more andi don't like his D any better. What is the solution if he's gone? Would you make him another offer?

Honestly, I have no idea what the solution might be. IMO, the OF going into 2015 is a downright frightening situation. I'm very curious to see where the Markakis negotiations go, because I do think it's possible that the O's won't have many, if any, palatable options.

It was just a response to those who day we need to Keep Nick because we have no one. Lombardozzi is not much different over the last two years. And probably more athletic. I just think that we can find that production elsewhere. For less than 30 million dollars.

That's because you don't value OBP much. Lombo's .297 OBP is barely tolerable for a back up infielder. It's one thing to recognize Nick's lack of power is a problem, but suggesting that a guy like Lombardozzi could replace him without a huge drop off in offense is crazy talk.

I'm not too worried about the OF situation for next year and moving forward. I think Markakis plays well enough for a nice offer to stay in RF for a couple more years. Although there doesn't seem to be much at Norfolk, it will be interesting to see what a healthy Francisco Peguero can do. Unfortunately, Henry Urrutia's stock has fallen because of the injury.

But Bowie is a different story. We have some kids there who are hitting the snot out of the ball. Dariel Alvarez, playing RF at Bowie, will be in Norfolk before long, and maybe in Baltimore by years end. Same with 1B Christian Walker, who is athletic enough, and whose bat is powerful enough, to play in the OF if necessary.

And of course we can help the problem by somehow locking up Nelson Cruz for a few for years.

It was just a response to those who day we need to Keep Nick because we have no one. Lombardozzi is not much different over the last two years. And probably more athletic. I just think that we can find that production elsewhere. For less than 30 million dollars.

Lombardozzis arm has been called weak in the infield. Is it a good idea to put him in RF?

Is he going to get more elsewhere? I think it's a fair question.

I'm not too worried about the OF situation for next year and moving forward. I think Markakis plays well enough for a nice offer to stay in RF for a couple more years. Although there doesn't seem to be much at Norfolk, it will be interesting to see what a healthy Francisco Peguero can do. Unfortunately, Henry Urrutia's stock has fallen because of the injury.

But Bowie is a different story. We have some kids there who are hitting the snot out of the ball. Dariel Alvarez, playing RF at Bowie, will be in Norfolk before long, and maybe in Baltimore by years end. Same with 1B Christian Walker, who is athletic enough, and whose bat is powerful enough, to play in the OF if necessary.

And of course we can help the problem by somehow locking up Nelson Cruz for a few for years.

Alvarez should be in the conversation - as long as he shows progress. As far as Walker, I continue to maintain - despite probably nobody agreeing with me - that Davis would be just fine in RF - so Walker taking 1B in Baltimore should be considered if Walker is deemed up to the task.

Archived