Reimold Rising?

mdbdotcom

Other than the game in which Frank Robinson hit the ball out of Memorial Stadium (which 2,000,000 people attended), it was the most widely attended game in O's history. And they sold a lot of beer.

I have another example of that type of chicanery.

The official paid attendance for Bobby Thomson's "Shot Hear 'Round the World" game on October 3, 1951 was 34,320:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NY1/NY1195110030.shtml

The capacity for the Polo Grounds at that time was 56,000.

HOWEVER ...... I know for a fact that more than a quarter of a million people have attested to, in fact SWORN TO have been at that game.

So, I don't care what the numbers say about the paid attendance, or even about the capacity (56,000) of the Polo Grounds in northern Manhattan. If more than a quarter of a million people say that they were there, then they were there.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still remember a cow-milking contest on a Friday night between games of a twi-night double-header. Ed Temple did the milking for the Orioles.

Didn't that decide the home team for the World Series?

Not true. I saw him playing in LF for the O's. This just goes to show you cannot always trust written records. I guess you will attribute this to senility or something but, I am sure some other old timer will recall it as well and then, maybe you will believe it.
If someone has connections to Tettleton, they can ask him. And if he says no, then I guess I would be wrong. However, I am fairly certain it was with the Orioles and was the second game of a double header where he caught the other game or it was a switch where he went in as a PH and stayed in the game in LF. I do know that I also saw him playing left field multiple times for Detroit.
Right, I guess you also believe because its on the internet, it must be true?:rolleyestf:

Everything written down isn't always 100% fail proof. I have seen mistakes and retractions in my local newspaper several times a week. I see routine factual errors on the Baltimore Sun all the time.. it happens. I know what I saw. I also saw Boog Powell in LF and Frank Howard of the Senators and Yogi Berra of the Yankees. I also saw Mickey Mantle get hurt in a game at Memorial stadium (I was there) and he had to be carted off the field. I also saw Scott McGregor fan Reggie Jackson three times in a game (again I was there) at Memorial Stadium where Reggie swung so hard he fell down. I guess because that isn't in the record books it didn't happen?

You do know that Major League Baseball has a fairly comprehensive system of checking the official scorekeeping with various sources to verify its accuracy, right? And one of those sources isn't middle aged men masquerading as elderly sages with near-photographic memory 25 years after the fact. We have fairly comprehensive records of the 1884 Union Association, so I'm thinking they might know when a guy did/didn't play left field in 1990.

You do know that Major League Baseball has a fairly comprehensive system of checking the official scorekeeping with various sources to verify its accuracy, right? And one of those sources isn't middle aged men masquerading as elderly sages with near-photographic memory 25 years after the fact. We have fairly comprehensive records of the 1884 Union Association, so I'm thinking they might know when a guy did/didn't play left field in 1990.

Records are compiled by human beings initially are they not? human brings are not infallible. Ergo, unless you personally were present to record what happened you must accept the possibility of inaccuracy in anything. Even in the computer age votes cannot be correctly counted in Florida and why was that? human error. So you can believe records are correct from 1894 but don't expect everyone else to do so.

I don't care what the official record books say, in my mind, we won the World Series last year.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching buck get that Gatorade bath too.

Records claim Oswald acted alone in killing JFK because the official "record" stays. It is so?

Records are compiled by human beings initially are they not? human brings are not infallible. Ergo, unless you personally were present to record what happened you must accept the possibility of inaccuracy in anything. Even in the computer age votes cannot be correctly counted in Florida and why was that? human error. So you can believe records are correct from 1894 but don't expect everyone else to do so.

Confirmed: Old#5fan is not a human being, but a Coleco Adam that attained sentience in the early 1980's. Bow before his 80 kilobytes of Tettleton-dedicated RAM.

Confirmed: Old#5fan is not a human being, but a Coleco Adam that attained sentience in the early 1980's. Bow before his 80 kilobytes of Tettleton-dedicated RAM.

Believe whatever you wish anything written is only as reliable as the fallible person who is writing it down. You can make lame jokes all you want but nobody can prove human error cannot occur when events are recorded. You are relying on faith and not 100 percent proof.

So, if I were to say that I clearly remember a game in which Eddie Murray played 1B for the Orioles while wearing a pink tutu and using a sawed-off snow shovel for a glove, my memory has as much validity as whatever "factual" evidence you could provide to the contrary?

Go ahead and prove me wrong. I'll be here when you get back from talking to Eddie.

Just because something is written down that doesn't make it a fact either.

Believe whatever you wish anything written is only as reliable as the fallible person who is writing it down. You can make lame jokes all you want but nobody can prove human error cannot occur when events are recorded. You are relying on faith and not 100 percent proof.

Not saying you are right or wrong, but you are not referring to games that cannot be verified correct? Cant you actually look at the newspapers for the day after the game and get an exact copy of the official box score? This isn't the case where maybe records are wrong. Either the box score the following day confirms your version or it says you misremembered. Correct?

Not saying you are right or wrong, but you are not referring to games that cannot be verified correct? Cant you actually look at the newspapers for the day after the game and get an exact copy of the official box score? This isn't the case where maybe records are wrong. Either the box score the following day confirms your version or it says you misremembered. Correct?

Not necessarily as there could be a typo or misprint couldn't there?

That was a pretty good joke and I've repped plenty of his. It just came at your expense.

Archived