Reimold Rising?

mdbdotcom

Records are compiled by human beings initially are they not? human brings are not infallible. Ergo, unless you personally were present to record what happened you must accept the possibility of inaccuracy in anything. Even in the computer age votes cannot be correctly counted in Florida and why was that? human error. So you can believe records are correct from 1894 but don't expect everyone else to do so.

I actually have to defend the accuracy of the MLB scorekeeping system against the unverified 30-year-old memories of some dude on the internet?

Occasionally the Retrosheet team will uncover some slight inaccuracy from 110 years ago, like the fact that multiple sources indicated Willie Keeler was credited with a few extra hits (mostly likely double counting a game) in 1897, so that he hit .424 instead of the originally assumed .432. But they almost never change the records of the last 70, 80, 90 years because there are essentially no mistakes.

If I'm asked to judge which is more likely true, the official record of MLB as cross-checked by multiple other sources like Retrosheet and local newspaper accounts, or an anonymous guy online who says he remembers something from 30 years ago... I'm going with anonymous guy exactly 0% of the time. Spend 15 minutes reading about juries and trials and you'll come to the conclusion that eyewitness accounts are horribly inaccurate. 30-year-old eyewitness accounts are about on par with just making stuff up.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually have to defend the accuracy of the MLB scorekeeping system against the unverified 30-year-old memories of some dude on the internet?

Occasionally the Retrosheet team will uncover some slight inaccuracy from 110 years ago, like the fact that multiple sources indicated Willie Keeler was credited with a few extra hits (mostly likely double counting a game) in 1897, so that he hit .424 instead of the originally assumed .432. But they almost never change the records of the last 70, 80, 90 years because there are essentially no mistakes.

If I'm asked to judge which is more likely true, the official record of MLB as cross-checked by multiple other sources like Retrosheet and local newspaper accounts, or an anonymous guy online who says he remembers something from 30 years ago... I'm going with anonymous guy exactly 0% of the time. Spend 15 minutes reading about juries and trials and you'll come to the conclusion that eyewitness accounts are horribly inaccurate. 30-year-old eyewitness accounts are about on par with just making stuff up.

He knows. He accepted that he could have been wrong earlier only to recant when he realized he had reeled in a few more people to argue with.

He knows. He accepted that he could have been wrong earlier only to recant when he realized he had reeled in a few more people to argue with.

As though striving to be the center of attention? Can't be. You must be mistaken.

I knew he played first base later in his career but didn't know he ever played RF. Must have been when he was a Dodger. I didn't follow him when he was on the West Coast. Still, he was predominantly a left fielder as your record shows.

The Senators had a left handed first baseman, Mike Epstein.

Howard normally was in LF, and played 1st as backup position.

And he also played some RF for the Senators.

Not true. I saw him playing in LF for the O's. This just goes to show you cannot always trust written records. I guess you will attribute this to senility or something but, I am sure some other old timer will recall it as well and then, maybe you will believe it.

This is my favorite post of all time on this website.

Sounds like trolling to me.
It's certainly close.

I responded once then gave up. Of course he didn't respond to my comment for some reason. ;)

And if it were, what then??? :old5fan:

This is my favorite post of all time on this website.

Now if you were "fan" of a troll - what then? :drek:

Oh yeah - good to "have you back"!

The Senators had a left handed first baseman, Mike Epstein.

Howard normally was in LF, and played 1st as backup position.

And he also played some RF for the Senators.

Epstein was a former Oriole. Not sure who they traded him for from the Senators, a pitcher named Pete Reichert maybe?

Epstein was a former Oriole. Not sure who they traded him for from the Senators, a pitcher named Pete Reichert maybe?

Wow, you are brilliant. I am totally amazed. You remembered that we traded Epstein for Pete Richert in 1967. You were probably 9-10 years old. Of course you spelled Richert's name wrong but that's perfectly understandable considering it's been almost 50 years. That is just amazing that you did that without looking it up. What a razor sharp memory you have, and here I thought you were just a giant blowhard. Anybody doubting that Tettleton played LF for the Orioles can just shut up now. I know I am eating some serious crow.

Archived