Say It Aint So But it Looked to me Like Markakis was loafing on both that triple and double!

Old#5fan

Sometimes the impossible happens.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31263919&topic_id=63371196&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Excellent point!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope I am wrong, but it really appeared to me that Nick Markakis was barely running on that triple hit by Adam Eaton in the 5th inning that drove in a run and had he put some effort into it could have gotten to it easier than Jones who ended up being closer.

Then, again in the seventh he appeared to barely run for that lead off double than looked like if fell barely past him. If I was Ubaldo I would be po'd at such little effort. Most right fielders with even average speed catch both of those balls with a good jump and maximum effort.

I know it is hot but maybe Nick needs a day off or something as that was pathetic.

Nah no way I believe that

Guest rochester

I made a promise a long time ago that I will never call anyone "slow" nor will I say they can't "jump". I have no right to do so... Nick is slow for a major league baseball player which is a different level. Now, saying that, even I may be able to beat Matt W. in a race, but I would never call him slow.

I missed the triple, but I did see the double. The first thing Thorne said was it was going to be trouble. It was. He said had Nick been playing where he normally was it would have been caught. But because the outfield was playing more towards center, and the batter pulled that hanging slider down the line more Nick stood no chance to get it.

No he's not fast, but at the same time when you are placed out of position most routine plays look harder then they need to be.

Shouldn't every player have a 0% rating for those balls rated "impossible?" Otherwise, they're not "impossible."

I believe that is the way this is done; nobody makes the "impossible" play. Last year, Manny had 17 chances at plays ranked "remote" (1-10% chance), and made 4 of them (23%). He also made 56% of the plays ranked "unlikely" (10-40% chance).

Back to the stats I gave for Nick -- it should be noted that the vast majority of plays are ranked either routine or impossible. He's only had 25 chances on balls where the play was in doubt one way or the other, compared to 148 in the routine or impossible categories. So, basically once every three games a ball comes his way where it is in doubt whether an OF will catch it or not. And he is doing a pretty solid job on those -- 10 of 10 on "likely" (60-90% chance), 3 of 6 on "even" (40-60%), 1 of 2 on "unlikely" (10-40%), and 1 of 7 on "remote" (1-10%). All according to Inside Edge, of course, and I am not necessarily vouching for their data. Note that on the balls that are impossible to catch, no data is provided about whether the fielder might cut the ball off and prevented extra bases, and whether he did so.

Markakis goes 4 for 6 tonight and you still find some reason to complain. The lack of hustle rany sounds like some notion perceived by a prejudiced mind.

Ever hear of a young hippie in today's world? There is probably a reason for that.....

Did Nick say,"No," to a proposed hunting trip you had in mind? I can't imagine why anyone would turn you down, such a cheery fellow.

When he was on the sun boards during Nicks rookie year he referred to him as Nick Outmakeus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's probably still mad that Nick won a Gold Glove.

Wrong again as one of my first posts upon returning here I stated I was now a Markakis fan and glad he won a Gold Glove. Sadly he will never see another as he appears to be running now like Grandpa Jones late in getting to the outhouse!?

Wrong again as one of my first posts upon returning here I stated I was now a Markakis fan and glad he won a Gold Glove. Sadly he will never see another as he appears to be running now like Grandpa Jones late in getting to the outhouse!

We all age. Even you and I.

We all age. Even you and I.

Speak for yourself. I am no slower at 57 than I was at 37. At either time, you could time me running a mile by using a sundial rather than a stopwatch.

Buck said at Fanfest, in spring training, and at various times this season that Nick is running better this year than in the last couple of years when he was playing hurt. Personally, I don't see evidence of that, but that's Buck's stated opinion. And as I've pointed out, Nick's defensive stats this season aren't bad, in fact, they are better than the last couple of years, so maybe Buck is correct, despite what we think we see.

Ok, I will trust the majority opinion on this that I was wrong and that Nick Markakis was giving his all last night and running as fast as he possibly could on that triple and double. He just appeared not to be doing so.

Ever hear of a young hippie in today's world? There is probably a reason for that.....

Hey! You're the one with "old" in your name. I'm an " ole`" hippi, which is quite different. :boogie:

[video=youtube;KABUQxllGbk]

Archived