Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

This is good news. The frustrating thing about the Beckett-Crawford deal was Boston got bailed out in a big way -- they dumped salary, they got rid of seemingly bad clubhouse guys, and they got young talented players. Here they are actually giving up $$, they get one year of one guy who is declining enough that a team trying to win the WS would give him up, and they get a sandwich pick that may or may not pan out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is good news. The frustrating thing about the Beckett-Crawford deal was Boston got bailed out in a big way -- they dumped salary, they got rid of seemingly bad clubhouse guys, and they got young talented players. Here they are actually giving up $$, they get one year of one guy who is declining enough that a team trying to win the WS would give him up, and they get a sandwich pick that may or may not pan out.

Plus, Boston will only have like $90 - 125 MM in payroll opening up over next two seasons, so we got that going for us to. They'll have to be careful how they allocate that if they want to compete again soon.

Question:

Is Jon Lester THAT good?

He's been good against us this year, but the Orioles hit him very hard traditionally.

Lester is very good, IMO, and is having one of, if not his best season this year. Last year his numbers were similar to Tillman from last year. This year Lester is striking out a ton of guys. And actually, traditionally, Lester has dominated us. BUT that has changed a bit as the O's have gotten better over the last couple seasons. Didn't Lester start game 162 in 2011? That was the beginning of our fortunes turning around with Lester.

Thing is, for me anyway, if we get tangled up with Lester in the post season, because we have so much exposure to him, I won't be scared in any way, I'll know that we can beat him.

Plus, Boston will only have like $90 - 125 MM in payroll opening up over next two seasons, so we got that going for us to. They'll have to be careful how they allocate that if they want to compete again soon.

Heck, you could run two first place franchises for that savings!

I honestly think losing Cespedes was a really big loss for Oakland. The guy always seemed to play with this massive chip on his shoulder and he had this determination that I felt willed that team to playing better than their real talent level. Many is the time I have looked at their roster and wondered how they won 70 games, let alone 90. He was one of the big reasons, so even though we will have to see him 6 more times in Boston this year, I am glad he is off that As team.

Lester is very good, IMO, and is having one of, if not his best season this year. Last year his numbers were similar to Tillman from last year. This year Lester is striking out a ton of guys. And actually, traditionally, Lester has dominated us. BUT that has changed a bit as the O's have gotten better over the last couple seasons. Didn't Lester start game 162 in 2011? That was the beginning of our fortunes turning around with Lester.

Thing is, for me anyway, if we get tangled up with Lester in the post season, because we have so much exposure to him, I won't be scared in any way, I'll know that we can beat him.

I looked this up a little while ago for my brother, who is an A's fan. Through 2010, Lester was 13-0 against us, with a lot of sub-2.00 ERAs in some of those years. From 2011-2013, he was 2-3 with a 4.02 ERA. This year, 0-1, but with a low ERA. And I'm pretty sure he had a few NDs in that 2011-2013 period where he could easily have taken a loss if we had contained their offense. So, yeah, he feasted on us when we were terrible, but once the team got better, it's been a lot more even. And I cetainly don't think we will be intimidated by him if we see him in the play-offs.

Archived