3-7

5-5

3-7

1-9

4-6

2-8

=====

43-107

I've said recently that I'd be very surprised if the Orioles won 2 of the last remaining 10 games this season.  Looking at the trend above,  I stand by that prediction.

So two rainouts? Or the Orioles just get two games off for terrible play?

11 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

4-6

2-8

2-8

4-6

4-6

3-7

1-9

3-7

2-8

3-7

5-5

3-7

1-9

4-6

2-8

=====

43-107

I've said recently that I'd be very surprised if the Orioles won 2 of the last remaining 10 games this season.  Looking at the trend above,  I stand by that prediction.

You have to admire their consistency.    They’ve never teased us with a hint of sustained decent play.   Ah, the halcyon days of 5-5...

11 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

12 games left.  The last 10 are NY, BOS, and HOU.   That should just add to the club record in losses.

Boston has things wrapped up, but I don't think they are going to take it easy on anyone.  NY and Houston have things to play for, we are limping to the finish line.  

12 games left, I can see 2 wins...maybe.  1 win wouldn't surprise me.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Boston has things wrapped up, but I don't think they are going to take it easy on anyone.  NY and Houston have things to play for, we are limping to the finish line.  

Houston may or may not have things to play for by the time we play them.  NY certainly will have things to play for as they battle for first WC position.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Houston may or may not have things to play for by the time we play them.  NY certainly will have things to play for as they battle for first WC position.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

What exactly did the White Sox have to play for?  Toronto?  Would Houston or Boston, even if they rested some players, be worse than those two?  3-9 finish, sticking with 46-116.  Why not?  If I'm wrong, so be it.

10 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

What exactly did the White Sox have to play for?  Toronto?  Would Houston or Boston, even if they rested some players, be worse than those two?  3-9 finish, sticking with 46-116.  Why not?  If I'm wrong, so be it.

Is anybody projecting the O’s to do well before the end of the season? They’ve hovered a little below .300 almost all season, so the most anyone would expect is 3-4 wins, and given the quality of the competition in the last 10 games, it could be worse.    But I’d rather play these teams when winning is no longer critical to them, because that improves our chances a little.   Not that I really care whether we win 45 games or 48.     

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Is anybody projecting the O’s to do well before the end of the season? They’ve hovered a little below .300 almost all season, so the most anyone would expect is 3-4 wins, and given the quality of the competition in the last 10 games, it could be worse.    But I’d rather play these teams when winning is no longer critical to them, because that improves our chances a little.   Not that I really care whether we win 45 games or 48.     

If you get what Joseph was saying; it doesn't sound like there are many on the team that care either.  Certainly not enough to play spoiler from what it sounds like.

41 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

If you get what Joseph was saying; it doesn't sound like there are many on the team that care either.  Certainly not enough to play spoiler from what it sounds like.

We are a collective 8-27 (.228) against Houston, Boston and New York.    It’s not impossible we could win a couple games even if they matter to those teams.    But our chances are slightly better if they don’t matter to them.   Like in 2000, when we ended the season with a three-game sweep of the Yankees and lost out on the chance to draft Teixeira because of it.   Or 2015, when we swept the Blue Jays and Yankees in consecutive series to end the year after they’d both clinched playoff spots.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We are a collective 8-27 (.228) against Houston, Boston and New York.    It’s not impossible we could win a couple games even if they matter to those teams.    But our chances are slightly better if they don’t matter to them.   Like in 2000, when we ended the season with a three-game sweep of the Yankees and lost out on the chance to draft Teixeira because of it.   Or 2015, when we swept the Blue Jays and Yankees in consecutive series to end the year after they’d both clinched playoff spots.   

I get all that.  It's not exactly Tom Cruise and Mission Impossible, but I consider it very unlikely. 

Yeah, the Beantowners only need 1 victory in their last 6 vs NYY to clinch the division.  If they use the BAL series as a break in the action, Boston would need to do some interesting roster juggling at the end as they get NY again right after the Orioles.  I really doubt they're going to rest up during that series, when they could force NYY to travel to Oakland for the wild card game.

Boston is still 3 wins from besting the 1912 Sawx, best in their franchise history.  They're also 4 wins from clinching home field for the playoff and 7 wins from setting a franchise record for winning percentage.   

As a footnote to the 2000 season, including the NY finale, the Orioles ended on a 7-2 run vs. BOS, TOR, and NYY.  Texas went 1-8.  They went from 3 games up to 3 games back during those games.

Apologies if someone already did this, but I went over the schedule to see whether there was a single stretch of any 10 games with a winning record. There was one - the team went 6-4 from May 9-19 (doesn't fall into the ten game sets counting from opening day). That high point of the season was fueled by their 4 game winning streak May 9-12. Counting the green Ws among a red sea of Ls was possibly the worst 5 minutes of my own personal season. There was the single 4 game win streak, two 3 game streaks, and five two game streaks. Yes, that's a season grand total of EIGHT winning streaks greater than one game thru 9/17. That's just historically brutal. Worse than Cleveland in '17, Mondale in '84, or even Caesar in 44.

On the losing side were streaks of 4 games (2), 5 (3), 6 (3), 7 (3), 8 (1), and 9 (1). Guess a nice 10 gamer vs NY, BOS, and HOU would round out this list, this thread, and the 2018 season quite appropriately.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

4-6
2-8
2-8
4-6
4-6
3-7
1-9
3-7
2-8
3-7
5-5
3-7
1-9
4-6
2-8
3-7
0-1
=====

46-115

Speaking of consistency, the Orioles are 6-20 in September with one game left.  Dating back to last September, this is the 7th straight month with single digits in the win column.  A 9-16 mark in July is the high water mark.  The Orioles finish the season without winning a season series against any A.L. club.

How far are the Orioles below .500?
tenor.gif?itemid=4879781