It's time to start thinking about matching up with OAK/DET in a 5/7 gm series

VeveJones007

Time to make a thread about how we match up with the Royals. On paper the Tigers are much better than us. Its good these games aren't played on papers. The only team I don't like facing in the playoffs is the A's. It would be nice if the Angels overtook them.

I think its fine for the fans to think about playoff matchups. I wouldn't want the actual players to be thinking about playoff matchups.

I can almost guarantee you that they ARE NOT. :)

The 2014 Orioles, one of the most resilient teams that I've seen in the last few years, have had numerous devastating losses this year (against the Brewers, the Yankees, the Athletics, the Angels, etc.) Each and every time, they have come back to immediately win the next game and/or win the following game after that.

Additionally, they faced a brutal 16-game block against A.L. West teams immediately following the All-Star break, a block in which they fared very well (10-6.)

The ONLY POSSIBLE WAY that this Oriole team could have been as successful as they have been is by having tunnel vision ...... taking one game at a time, one inning at a time, one plate appearance at a time, and NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT what the other teams in the division are doing. :cool:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

I was wrong. It was too early to think that the A's and Tigers were going win their divisions.

• 5 weeks later...

o

The Orioles have gone 38-19 since this thread was started (.667.) :cool:

Guthrie essentially threw 8 innings of shutout ball (he allowed 1 unearned run.)

All 3 hits that he ceded were singles.

Guthrie retired the final 16 batters that he faced

JEREMY GUTHRIE O (vs. RED SOX, 9/13)

IP:O 8

H:o. 3 (3 Singles)

R:O. 1

ER:) 0

BB:. 1

SO:. 2

Pitches: 105 (65 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.35

• 2 weeks later...
With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

o

The Orioles have gone 45-22 since this thread was started (.672).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

NOW, it's time to start thinking about matching up with Detroit, Oakland, Kansas City, California, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

o

The O.P. (JULY 10th)

(SEPTEMBER 25th)

o

The Orioles have gone 45-22 since this thread was started (.672).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

NOW, it's time to start thinking about matching up with Detroit, Oakland, Kansas City, California, etc.

Well, we matched up well with the Tigers in the A.L.D.S.

Now, we await the winner of the Royals/Angels series for our A.L.C.S. opponent.

I like the match-ups, either way.

Let's go, Orioles.

Archived