Gonzo being offered as trade piece.

Redskins Rick

Because the AL east is sooo powerful these days

I didn't claim they were.

My point was that Miguel pitches well against the East and THAT is who you play about 19 times each...

Here are his career ERA's against the division (not 2014):

Vs. Boston 2.61 (the reigning champs have never beaten him)

vs. Toronto 3.02

vs. NYY 3.81

vs. TB 4.02

He also has yet to post an ERA over 4 in a season. Not calling the guy an ace, just not trading him for Kennedy.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back end starter who has a career 3.69 ERA and 111 ERA+. Ranks 21st in ERA among AL starters with 300+ IP the last three years. I'm kind of sick of seeing him dismissed so lightly. Plus, he's inexpensive.

My main point about not trading him is I don't want to count on our other five starters all staying healthy. That ball off Norris' ankle yesterday reminded me how stupid that would be.

Gonzalez 2012-2014

<PRE>

Year Age Tm Lg ERA IP ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 28 BAL AL 3.25 105.1 130 4.38 1.206 7.9 1.1 3.0 6.6 2.20

2013 29 BAL AL 3.78 171.1 108 4.45 1.226 8.2 1.3 2.8 6.3 2.26

2014 30 BAL AL 3.91 96.2 101 5.23 1.407 9.3 1.6 3.4 6.9 2.06

3 Yrs 3.66 373.1 111 4.63 1.267 8.4 1.3 3.0 6.5 2.19

162 Game Avg. 3.66 205 111 4.63 1.267 8.4 1.3 3.0 6.5 2.19

</PRE>

Frobby, to be blunt...I really couldn't care less about MGon's ERA and career average(s). Those numbers have been rising for two straight years. Not only have his peripherals gotten worse, but his "actual results" have gotten worse, too.

That said, I like MGon perfectly fine. I'm not in a hurry to see him moved or relegated to the bullpen. But he's not a "middle of the rotation" starter, regardless of what his career ERA indicates to you. He's a #4-type guy who sometimes flashes #3. And throwing three good games in a row doesn't change that.

He's a #4-type guy who sometimes flashes #3.

I don't think ANYONE, including the Orioles, is arguing with that? He IS the 4, some would argue the 5, based on the way Bud was pitching. If you want to package him up for a CLEAR #2 type so be it, not for another 3-5 guy.

I don't think ANYONE, including the Orioles, is arguing with that? He IS the 4, some would argue the 5, based on the way Bud was pitching. If you want to package him up for a CLEAR #2 type so be it, not for another 3-5 guy.

That's what I said earlier. Frobby took umbrage with the phrase "back-end starter," which I usually take to mean #4/5.

That's what I said earlier. Frobby took umbrage with the phrase "back-end starter," which I usually take to mean #4/5.

I believe He is a solid #3 starter. Just because the manager has him pitching out of the 4th or 5th hole, degrade what type of starter he is.

I believe He is a solid #3 starter. Just because the manager has him pitching out of the 4th or 5th hole, degrade what type of starter he is.

Of course, but this is what playoff teams usually look like. The guys you have in those spots need to be better than the guys the other teams have in those spots. It's nice to have our "number 4 & 5" starters rockin sub-4 ERA's!

Listen, Ive been critical of Gonzo earlier this year and when he was scuffling, but he's about our best pitcher in the last month. Theres no way they will trade him now, nor should they do that or send him to the pen. They know that, and we know that. He is still a 100 pitch pitcher and shouldn't be pushed to go much deeper(as evidenced by last night), but he's been terrific. I always liked Miguel,because of his makeup and demeanor. His story is so inspiring and uplifting, and he never quit on himself when others may have. He grew up less than 10 minutes from my home and never forgets his friends and fans from that area. I hope he keeps it up. That was a hell of a performance last night.

I loved the fact Miguel looked into the camera, during his postgame interview with Thorne, and said he "loved this team." In a way, in my opinion, he was asking DD not to trade him. Please keep Miguel Duquette.

I loved the fact Miguel looked into the camera, during his postgame interview with Thorne, and said he "loved this team." In a way, in my opinion, he was asking DD not to trade him. Please keep Miguel Duquette.

I went to bed so didn't see this, I appreciate you sharing. I love Mgon and think also is vastly overrated on here and as a fan base in general. I would rather trade Chen.

This guy ANYONE might not be arguing it, but I am, and so are several others.

Ian Kennedy has a 3.62 era in the NL in a pitchers park. My rulw of thumb for NL pitchers is to had .5 to their era to see what their AL equivalent would be. Doing this to Kennedy puts him over 4 era and higher than Miguels. To me this trade would make zero sense for the orioles. You would get virtually zero upgrade, and possibly a downgrade.

Archived