Stand Pat

theobird

Id laugh if the we made no deadline.moves just for the yanks to win the division with the moves they are making.

Part of me wants it as long as we still make a WC. That way those who think prospects who are POTENTIALLY good will realize that being in the minors they arent helping.

I too don't necessarily think starting pitching is a big need but if anyone thinks that this team in its current form is a World Series caliber team, your mistaken.

No we're not. This team is WS calibre. IMO

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just going to say, never heard of Wright and Wilson.

I don't see DeLaRosa as a number one but he would help for sure. I wouldn't give Gausman. But Tim Berry, Wright, and Wilson for Rosa and apen arm, why not?

What happen to the old " you can't have enough pitching" phrase?

The Os have two #2s and a bunch of 4 and 5s. So how would adding anything #2 or 3 pitcher in Kennedy or Rosa not be an upgrade?

You think DeLaRosa is an upgrade? Sorry I just don't think he is. IMO

No we're not. This team is WS calibre. IMO

We're not what?

And I disagree. At the moment I don't think this team would beat Detroit or Oakland in a seven game series and odds are we will have to face one of them if not both in order to go all the way. I also think Milwaukee and St Louis would be tough with our current team. I mean obviously any series would be tough. It would be tough forrour opponents as well. But I don't think we are better than them teams.

It could be done but to me it's unlikely at this moment.

Stand pat would be a huge mistake. Orioles are 2-4 Vs A's and 1-5 Vs Tigers.

If you really believe that they're a .250 team when playing really good, World Series-caliber teams, you have to know that no combination of mid-season acquisitions would push those odds up to the point where they're likely to win.

I think the reality is that any team, even the Astros or the Cubs, has a fighting chance to win a short series against any other team.

You think DeLaRosa is an upgrade? Sorry I just don't think he is. IMO

Didn't say he was a upgrade. Said he would help. And yes, id be.more comfortable with DeLaRosa at the fifth spot over Gausman or Gonzo, especially in the playoffs.

And I.could be wrong but I don't think Rosa demands the prospects it would have taken for JS.

I'm curious why Chen? There's not a whole lot of spread between the numbers of all of the O's starters, but Chen has a 4:1 K:BB ratio, is 2nd on the team in innings, starts, tied with Tillman and (essentially) Gonzalez in ERA, better than everybody but Gausman in FIP. I just don't see it.

Also, he's on pace for 17 or 18 wins. Completely separate from the wisdom of this move, I wonder if any team in MLB history has moved a healthy, regular starter who's 11-3 in late July (or anything like that) to the bullpen? Not that long ago the 11-3 mark would have meant he was considered the best starter on the team, no questions asked, and people would look at you like you had snakes coming out of your eye sockets for suggesting he should be turned into a reliever. The only thing I can think of sort of like this is Dave Righetti - in '83 he was 14-8, 3.44 as a starter, then in '84 he was moved to the pen and had 31 saves.

The wins are the reason he'll never be moved to the 'pen, but it's a terrible reason. As you pointed out, he's second on the team in starts...so doesn't it make sense that he's second in innings, too? Before last night he was averaging 5.73 innings per start, his ERA was 4.21, his ERA+ was 93, and his FIP was 4.42. He could just as easily be 3-11 with those numbers, but the offense has backed him up.

I chose him over Gonzo simply because neither have been all that great this season, and Chen's a "natural" (using the term loosely) replacement for Matusz in the bullpen. And the fact that Chen doesn't walk very many people seems to bolster his viability for relief innings, IMO.

Regardless, I'd be fine with either of the two being assigned a relief role. I just hate the jumble of mostly equivalent, average-to-below-average pitchers at the bottom of the rotation, particularly since that glut has contributed to Gausman's inconsistent innings this year.

We're not what?

And I disagree. At the moment I don't think this team would beat Detroit or Oakland in a seven game series and odds are we will have to face one of them if not both in order to go all the way. I also think Milwaukee and St Louis would be tough with our current team. I mean obviously any series would be tough. It would be tough forrour opponents as well. But I don't think we are better than them teams.

It could be done but to me it's unlikely at this moment.

Sorry buddy but we will have to agree to disagree on the O's. I do believe they

WS contenders as constructed now.

Sorry buddy but we will have to agree to disagree on the O's. I do believe they

WS contenders as constructed now.

The same Orioles that are 2-4 Vs A's and 1-5 Vs Tigers?

The wins are the reason he'll never be moved to the 'pen, but it's a terrible reason. As you pointed out, he's second on the team in starts...so doesn't it make sense that he's second in innings, too? Before last night he was averaging 5.73 innings per start, his ERA was 4.21, his ERA+ was 93, and his FIP was 4.42. He could just as easily be 3-11 with those numbers, but the offense has backed him up.

I chose him over Gonzo simply because neither have been all that great this season, and Chen's a "natural" (using the term loosely) replacement for Matusz in the bullpen. And the fact that Chen doesn't walk very many people seems to bolster his viability for relief innings, IMO.

Regardless, I'd be fine with either of the two being assigned a relief role. I just hate the jumble of mostly equivalent, average-to-below-average pitchers at the bottom of the rotation, particularly since that glut has contributed to Gausman's inconsistent innings this year.

I love the bottom of our rotation. I just wish the top was a little more dominant. From May 29, over a span of 50 games, the rotation has an ERA of 3.34. I'll take that any time. I spend very little time these days worrying about how Buck will juggle the six guys we have. It's a good problem to have.

To prove this point a bit. Samardjiza was 2-7 in CHI with a ERA of 2.80.

I wouldn't Move Chen to.the pen over Gonzo though. Chen can have great Ganges like the one he had. No consistency though. Anyone know how many QS our rotation has?

I love the bottom of our rotation. I just wish the top was a little more dominant. From May 29, over a span of 50 games, the rotation has an ERA of 3.34. I'll take that any time. I spend very little time these days worrying about how Buck will juggle the six guys we have. It's a good problem to have.

And yet Darvish did not do Texas a bit of good. Sabathia though...he hurt us badly.

And the fact that Chen doesn't walk very many people seems to bolster his viability for relief innings, IMO.

If I'm looking for a candidate to move to the pen I'd probably start with someone who has trouble controlling his secondaries and walks a fair number of batters. He can dump the pitches he doesn't need, ditch the windup, simplify things and air it out.

I guess Chen could be the new Koji, never walking anyone. But I find it hard to see him worth more throwing a 7th inning every few days than six innings every five days.

Archived