Stand Pat

theobird

I really think we should stand pat at the trade deadline. I like our starting pitchers just fine, and I do not think that there is an upgrade available without trading away the farm. The upgrade will be Ubaldo, if he can get back and pitch up to his ability. I also like, and feel confident in our roster of position players. Delmon Young and David Lough backing up Markakis, Jones, Pearce and Cruz works well for me. Yeah, we could use a better hitting Catcher, but I like Caleb Joseph long term and expect his bat to play better than it has so far. Hundley is good as Catcher number 2.

The only move that I could really get on board with is to add another bullpen arm, especially another lefty. But the price would have to be right in order for me to make that move. I like this team, I like our chances with what we have. And since I have been an Orioles fan for most of my 53 years, I want sustainable success, and that does not happen by making "win now" trades.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just do not understand the talk about trading for a starter. You have 6 guys already, they do not need another starter unless that starter is a clear upgrade. Kennedy, De La Rosa are not upgrades.

We should be looking left handed relief options. Matusz is the weak link and he needs a change of address.

I would still be on the look out for a left-handed bat for LF (Pearce and Cruz falling back to Earth) or 2B (though I love Schoop's defense) that is a clear upgrade. If nothing there, then let it go and stand pat I agree.

Id laugh if the we made no deadline.moves just for the yanks to win the division with the moves they are making.

Part of me wants it as long as we still make a WC. That way those who think prospects who are POTENTIALLY good will realize that being in the minors they arent helping.

I too don't necessarily think starting pitching is a big need but if anyone thinks that this team in its current form is a World Series caliber team, your mistaken.

Id laugh if the we made no deadline.moves just for the yanks to win the division with the moves they are making.

Part of me wants it as long as we still make a WC. That way those who think prospects who are POTENTIALLY good will realize that being in the minors they arent helping.

I too don't necessarily think starting pitching is a big need but if anyone thinks that this team in its current form is a World Series caliber team, your mistaken.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/colorado-rockies-arent-in-active-talks-about-drew-stubbs?ymd=20140724&content_id=86148486&vkey=news_mlb

I think there are marginal upgrades that they could make but I concur that a blockbuster is unnecessary. I would be pretty happy to see Kurt Suzuki come in. It might be worth it to get Kennedy...he is probably only a slight upgrade over some of our current options but it would be really nice to keep him out of the hands of the Yankees. I definitely wouldn't break the bank on him though.

I think there are marginal upgrades that they could make but I concur that a blockbuster is unnecessary. I would be pretty happy to see Kurt Suzuki come in. It might be worth it to get Kennedy...he is probably only a slight upgrade over some of our current options but it would be really nice to keep him out of the hands of the Yankees. I definitely wouldn't break the bank on him though.

I'm on board with the Suzuki and Perkins trade that was floated on here yesterday. I wish I knew what we'd have to give up to get them but man they'd look good here. There are some questions about how Britton would take the potential demotion, if it would mess up chemistry, and whether Buck is on board with changing guys roles this late in the season.

How ridiculous is that run down of who in our system they are interested in?! Gausman and Harvery...all the way down to Wright and Wilson.

The MLB radio guys were talking about De La Rosa and how they were confident that DD wasn't going to give up anything of much value for him.

Suzuki would be great, but it looks like he'll extend with the Twins. Maybe a lefty reliever.

Otherwise, yeah, I don't see a whole lot of opportunity for the O's to improve their roster. I see a lot of opportunity for them to screw up their roster by thinking that guys like De La Rosa or Burnett are any better than what we already have.

I thought this made a lot of sense. We'll see.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/7/23/5925115/mlb-trade-deadline-the-minnesota-twins-kurt-suzuki

How ridiculous is that run down of who in our system they are interested in?! Gausman and Harvery...all the way down to Wright and Wilson.

The MLB radio guys were talking about De La Rosa and how they were confident that DD wasn't going to give up anything of much value for him.

I was just going to say, never heard of Wright and Wilson.

I don't see DeLaRosa as a number one but he would help for sure. I wouldn't give Gausman. But Tim Berry, Wright, and Wilson for Rosa and apen arm, why not?

What happen to the old " you can't have enough pitching" phrase?

The Os have two #2s and a bunch of 4 and 5s. So how would adding anything #2 or 3 pitcher in Kennedy or Rosa not be an upgrade?

I don't understand how anyone can say they want to stand pat when we clearly have three black holes in the lineup right now at 2B, 1B, and Catcher. All we can do about 1B is hope Davis can right the ship. I am all in favor against sitting him against all lefties the rest of the way and having Pearce and Young both in the lineup. Switching Catchers 2/3 of the way through the season could be a challenge, but we have to do something about 2B. It's ridiculous that a first place/contending team is using the season to develop a player who is clearly not ready to be in the big leagues (Schoop). He needs to be in AAA working on his approach at the plate. The fact that he hasn't really made any improvements from the start of the season to now is proof of that.

I like the idea of adding another shutdown reliever and moving Britton back into a setup role. So relief pitching and 2B is where I'd go. Our SP has been excellent lately and we actually have some depth, so unless we are going to land a legitimate ace I don't see the need to try to make an upgrade there.

Archived