ERod

webbrick2010

I think we're missing the larger concern here.

Who cares if the trade was good or bad?

The real issue is why are pitching prospects leaving the Orioles system and becoming better elsewhere? Arrieta, ERod, etc.

Arrieta was not a prospect. Neither was Strop. Both were identified as change of scenery candidates, and Strop was close to a DFA anyway.

ERod, well maybe it was just a kick in the butt. The Red Sox couldn't have tinkered with him to get something new in such a short time span.

Hader was already breaking out when he was traded.

There is no ETC. You are basing an off-the-wall claim on three trades made in the last two years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we're missing the larger concern here.

Who cares if the trade was good or bad?

The real issue is why are pitching prospects leaving the Orioles system and becoming better elsewhere? Arrieta, ERod, etc.

Sometimes players need a new scenery and new coaching voices. Sometimes it's motivation. At the end of the day, there are stories all over baseball of "failed" prospects doing well at a later date with another team.

EdRod's turnaround was so abrupt it's hard to believe the Red Sox had time to change anything he was doing. He was great literally from the first game he threw after the trade.

Exactly. It's quite possible the trade got him more focused, although I seem to remember he had pitched a few good games leading up to the trade.

Exactly. It's quite possible the trade got him more focused, although I seem to remember he had pitched a few good games leading up to the trade.

When ~d and I watched him here right before he was dealt he looked good, but against a tough lineup he came apart a bit after a couple times through. I think the sky is the limit for him. Which is why we have Miller and Detroit does not. I'm sure Detroit would have had to give up Robbie Ray. In that sense we probably hurt the Red Sox long term ;)

If you'd like, you can look at a detailed statistical breakdown (including pitches per inning, strikes and balls, and the types of outs that were induced) for each and every one of Rodriguez' games over the last 2 years before he was traded in this thread: :)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131647-Where-s-EdRod?p=3608796#post3608796

Regarding Werth, this organization seemed to perennially run hot and cold on various players including, at times, Werth, Loewen and many others while still part of the organization. That several other teams passed on Werth and that his success came so far AFTER the Os gave up on him makes me less concerned about the organization's ability or inability to properly appraise the talent on hand.

After letting Hader, Jake and now EdRod go in the past year, and each seeming to do much better after leaving the organization (a bit premature on EdRod), one can start to think that other teams understood the value of our players better than our FO.

Or perhaps we are finally a decent team and have minor league depth. You can't complain about the ERod trade so far as it has helped the team dramatically.

Everyone knew Jake had great stuff it was mental toughness. He would fall apart in the middle of the game and start walking guys. As for Hader we got Norris for him that is a steal for the team. I think we know the value of EROd and Hader as we got quality major league pitchers for them. We didn't give them away.

You don't get it? One trade happened 14 years ago and one happened a month ago. You expect to hear more about the one that happened 14 years ago. Werth was traded to the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays traded him in March of 2004 after he hadn't shown much with them. He didn't start to show anything until he got to the Dodgers that year and didn't really make a reputation for himself until he put in full seasons with the Phillies starting in 2007. So Werth was 6-7 years removed from us before he really made a name for himself. ERod was traded a month ago and his having his best 4 game stretch of the year. If he had pitched like this all year, it's safe to say that the O's wouldn't have traded him for Miller.

I highly doubt that. With Miller, Oday and Britton we have the last 3 innings of every game covered. The goal is to win a championship not to have the most highly rated prospects.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>21-yr. old LHP Eduardo Rodriguez 6 GS for Portland after A. Miller deal:37.1 IP 4 R 8 BB 39K</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's best when these deals work out for BOTH teams. It encourages teams to deal with the O's. I hope Miller is lights out in the world series for the O's and that ERod has a successful career (except when he pitches for the O's).

Giving up top a 100 prospect for a reliever is not the type of trade I want the Orioles to continue to make.

If Miller is done for the year this deal will be a total disaster..

"Peter Angelos was apologetic to the fans of Baltimore, but stressed that the franchise was just no longer viable. Maybe to a layperson it didn't seem like a big deal, but the Rodriguez-Miller trade was the straw that broke the camel's back and like dominoes falling eventually and directly led to the San Antonio Orioles."

If Miller is done for the year this deal will be a total disaster..

It was still the right move. Rodriguez was not performing and we have mid-rotation prospects in the minors and young starters in the majors. Miller has been as good as advertised and if he is injured, well injuries happen.

Archived